Bought a new Poulan Pro 5020 to see what there about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gets guys figured I’ve add in my two cents worth. I’ve had the polling pro pp5020av since 2013. Only items I’ve replaced was air filter and fuel line. Gone thru 28 tanks of trufuel 40:1 ratio fuel and using a Oregon prolite bar and 72lgx072g chain. Been tuned once in 2015 and it still rips. Almost like it’s a husky 450 rancher! I can’t seem to kill it. Would buy the new model but since I got a echo cs-501p my girl won’t let me buy any more

When the anti-vibe handle flexes up relative the body, the throttle is limited. What have others done to address this?

When the anti-vibe handle flexes up relative the body, the throttle is limited. What have others done to address this?
I used a piece of a one inch wide ratchet strap. Burnt the ends and used two screws on the handle and two on the saw body. Cinched it up pretty good while putting the second set in. Seems to work okay. Can’t speak to how long it will work though.

Technically a 42cc question but I know several Poulan guys are following this thread.

I have used a handful of 4218's and frankly that model has never impressed me, even after being tuned properly. I recently used an older 3516 (approximately 2007 purchase) that is actually a 42CC saw. I was very pleasantly surprised at how powerful it was.

Were the older saws of this model more powerful than the newer ones?

so heres it's some of the stuff i've been doing with my pp 5020
some storm damage control and cutting firewood of trees that were down. some elm and eucalyptus
i've had it since 2014 i think. no repairs or replacements till now, but as of this week its not running properly i think it's the carburator. it speeds as soon as you turn it on. wants to run fast even on the choke all the way out. its also hard to start it.

i would agree that the bar is a bit too long for the saw or the engine is too small for that bar. when too much of the bar is engaged specially in hardwood it stalls. you need to play around the big logs to decrease the contact area of the bar and the log which that can be tiring. i would say logs under 40cm/16 inch are better suited for this chainsaw.
seems good for property management and homeusers
ljs5TuH

RVsPsNV.jpg

U2UO0AU.jpg

OPDZEsv.jpg

8r1rD9r.jpg

TAiMQWg.jpg

4gPey3S.jpg

pV3My8J.jpg

e9CiN51.jpg

hanXwnp.jpg

"i've had it since 2014 i think. no repairs or replacements till now, but as of this week its not running properly i think it's the carburator. it speeds as soon as you turn it on. wants to run fast even on the choke all the way out. its also hard to start it."

Sounds like every late model cheap plastic Poulan saw I've had come thru here in the last 25 years or so. They are great for casual use, cutting a limb or two after a storm, etc. As a general rule the fair very poorly with long lay-up periods unless the fuel tank is drained and the carburetor ran dry after their last outing..........Cliff

"i've had it since 2014 i think. no repairs or replacements till now, but as of this week its not running properly i think it's the carburator. it speeds as soon as you turn it on. wants to run fast even on the choke all the way out. its also hard to start it."

Sounds like every late model cheap plastic Poulan saw I've had come thru here in the last 25 years or so. They are great for casual use, cutting a limb or two after a storm, etc. As a general rule the fair very poorly with long lay-up periods unless the fuel tank is drained and the carburetor ran dry after their last outing..........Cliff

Well DUH!!!

Exactly what saw have you encountered that can store a tank full of this cheap warmed piss gasoline we are forced to use for a long period of time and not suffer any effects???

I'd like to get my hands on a few!

Mike

I'm wondering if the fuel line EPA liner they use in those saws has finally turned to snot. I would definitely start with new fuel lines and a carb cleanout.

That will cause that too. I hate that type of fuel line.

You've got an air leak somewhere.
about that air leak the other day I pulled the top cover off with the saw running and noticed some "steam" flowing from under the carburator or something close to it to the right. but im no mechanic so not sure what the normal working conditions were prior to this problem;). it wasn't much.

about that air leak the other day I pulled the top cover off with the saw running and noticed some "steam" flowing from under the carburator or something close to it to the right. but im no mechanic so not sure what the normal working conditions were prior to this problem;). it wasn't much.

Not sure what that could be. Not likely a rad leak.:surprised3:

The only thing I can think of would be fuel mist from a fuel line pin hole or maybe a loose cover on the carb.

Latest posts

Back