Bought a Surge Master / Wallenstein WX530

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coalsmoke

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a wood splitter today. Lots of good reading on wood splitters in the archives, so thanks to the regular contributors. Its a Surge Master 20 ton model, which is the same as the Wallenstein WX530. I was looking at the Speeco 25 ton but the Canada made WX530 looked to be much better built.

Looking forward to trying it out tomorrow, like a kid trying to sleep night before Christmas :greenchainsaw:

Your New Splitter

It is almost 4:00AM here - been waiting all night long to see how your first time using the new splitter turned out.

Congratulations
Nosmo

Alright guys, here's some pictures. The splitter works great. I'm very glad I spent a little more on a good name brand over the cheaper imported options. I used to think I enjoyed splitting by hand, but I enjoy splitting with the Surge Master a whole lot more. This splitter had me saying more than once, "why didn't I buy one of these sooner!"

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Wow , nice operation you have going on ! Every now and then I do a little splitting by hand because I do enjoy it some. Then I go right back to using the splitter for the rest. Frankly I can't imagine hand splitting 7+ cord of wood per year........ thats for guys much younger than myself. :cheers:

Very nice. I like the looks of it and i really like your Kubota lol
I wish alll my wood was stacked like that ready to cut ;)

Nice splitter:) It should serve you well for many years to come! Just remember not to let the wood chips build up between the beams at the toe plate end, it can cause problems (snap the bolts holding the wedge on, bend the bottom plate of the wedge). I learned this the hard way.

Thanks guys. The little kubota is a good yard machine, pulls wagons and what-not well. My father and I share it since we our places are only 5 minutes away. I have a large 65hp tractor, but it lacks the finesse of the little kubota. We can put about 3000lbs in a wagon behind the kubota and it will pull with no complaints. I sold about 15 cords last year hand split, but the logs were a lot smaller to start with. After splitting 3 cords this week by hand of the large blocks I realized I bit off more than I could chew. I expect to sell about 20+ cords this coming winter.

Turkeyslayer, thanks for letting me know, I didn't realize the wood chips could cause a problem. Is it specific to the SM / Wallenstein machines or all log splitters in general?

Turkeyslayer, thanks for letting me know, I didn't realize the wood chips could cause a problem. Is it specific to the SM / Wallenstein machines or all log splitters in general?

I think it is just a concern with the twin beam frame design. My splitter is 3 years old and they might have made changes since then, but on mine I find after a bunch of splitting wood chunks start to build up between the beams at the toe plate. I have found it best to keep an eye on it and clean it out before it gets much more than an inch out past the toe plate. I just use my scrench and hatchet to pop out the chunks. Other than that I have had no issues with mine and it has split hundreds of cords:)

Hey TS, I checked mine today and sure enough, there were some chunks in there. I cleaned the out and got a better look at things and I see that under the toe plate that the steel there is a solid piece that takes up the space in between the two rails and it is cut on an angle. I think this is a revision so that when these chunks build up they just get pushed out the bottom instead of being pushed square against the toe plate.

I made two side tables for the splitter last night out of 1/4" aluminum checker plate and put it through about 6 hours of splitting today and they work like a hot darn.

attachment.php

Nice tables:) I'm glad your enjoying your new splitter. I may have to weld in the chip ramp on mine, it sounds like a good improvment.

Back