Bought a used splitter, have some questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtfireman85

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I went to go look at some Jeep parts, dead hoarder and the neighbor was helping disperse his stuff, under an old boat i found this splitter, i converted my dads to 3 point w/pto pump many years ago, it has been wonderful, a year ago i did over my FIL’s Dittier 4’ similarly. Now i found this, which doesn't have a motor So i plan to do the same. I found a Dynamic PTO pump 21 or 22 gpm for 340.00 at surplus center, sure beats over 800 for the prince, they look identical and im really leaning towards it, any experience with these?
Also I would like to make a log lifter, my wife lacks finesse with my old Case 580b 3 lever and isn’t always there to help with the big ones . I would love some input as to design, and perhaps some pictures of home built ones I plan to make a reversible 4 way, so I can do larger or smaller pieces and I ordered steel today to make a 20 gallon hydraulic reservoir. the serial tag looks like it is the first one, and it has a very professional build look about it, but its definitely fabricated not commercially built ( maybe a welding shop).h41MCNuzR8iSHTw0%7qhfQ.jpg90bECkoJSiWW81OuBQap9Q.jpg3GvikcX0S2qtZfNUcJl8ZQ.jpg2xrdWadZS2qgJk0oQ8o2lA.jpg

The Dynamic pumps are ok, used to sell a lot of them when I worked for All States Ag Parts, they are an import copy of the Prince, never had a lot of returns on them. By from somebody with a good warranty and go with it. Are you looking to run it on the H or M, I can't tell which from the pics, we ran one on an H for years, had chain drive system to get pump speed up to a usable speed, Dad sorta over shot the ratio, but its what he scrounged way back when, only ran the old girl just off idle, the weather cap would still tink every few seconds, it was running that slow.

The Dynamic pumps are ok, used to sell a lot of them when I worked for All States Ag Parts, they are an import copy of the Prince, never had a lot of returns on them. By from somebody with a good warranty and go with it. Are you looking to run it on the H or M, I can't tell which from the pics, we ran one on an H for years, had chain drive system to get pump speed up to a usable speed, Dad sorta over shot the ratio, but its what he scrounged way back when, only ran the old girl just off idle, the weather cap would still tink every few seconds, it was running that slow.
That one is my dads, mine is at my house, both M tractors. Also have an Allis D-14 and B-275 diesel that make ok splitter tractors. The B275 and Allis both have 3 point. Im always looking for a 3 point setup for an M
It works nicely with the PTO pump. The M chugs along about 1/3 throttle does well

The 3 point for an M will be Tough, especially since the don't have the live hydraulic feature, if it did it would be easier. just a note be careful with the D14 and hooking hydraulic attachments up, Allis ran way different setup from all the others, somewhere in the D series they switched, early ones were all real low flow "HIGH" pressure, note the quotes they were like 4500psi, everybody else was like 800-1500. That d-14 would be slick on a splitter too and should be fairly fuel friendly.

The 3 point for an M will be Tough, especially since the don't have the live hydraulic feature, if it did it would be easier. just a note be careful with the D14 and hooking hydraulic attachments up, Allis ran way different setup from all the others, somewhere in the D series they switched, early ones were all real low flow "HIGH" pressure, note the quotes they were like 4500psi, everybody else was like 800-1500. That d-14 would be slick on a splitter too and should be fairly fuel friendly.
Its got one remote for trailer plows but everything runs off the PTO anyway. 3 points come up now and then, i could buy new realistically... some companies sell them

Any reason to not just put a $150 engine on the splitter and call it a day?

Look to be old Fisher plow lights on the Jeep. You in New England?

Any reason to not just put a $150 engine on the splitter and call it a day?
I dont like listening to them for one, if i have a tractor that wont run i can just grab another, i like the speed afforded by the PTO pump, ive been slowly getting as many small engine driven tools out of my world as possible. Even my hot water pressure washer is electric. With ethanol it always seems like it’s something, my tractors are more reliable and it helps justify my tractor collecting sickness. I pitched the briggs engines that came off the other 2 splitters in the scrap pile and it improved my life a lot. My leaf blower is PTO, my rototiller is, wood-splitters are, when i find the right one i am going to sell about 8 gas generators and be done with them too in favor of a small PTO unit.

I dont like listening to them for one, if i have a tractor that wont run i can just grab another, i like the speed afforded by the PTO pump, ive been slowly getting as many small engine driven tools out of my world as possible. Even my hot water pressure washer is electric. With ethanol it always seems like it’s something, my tractors are more reliable and it helps justify my tractor collecting sickness. I pitched the briggs engines that came off the other 2 splitters in the scrap pile and it improved my life a lot. My leaf blower is PTO, my rototiller is, wood-splitters are, when i find the right one i am going to sell about 8 gas generators and be done with them too in favor of a small PTO unit.

Interesting way to look at it.

I suppose the tractors are old enough hourmeter hours aren't much of a concern.

Interesting way to look at it.

I suppose the tractors are old enough hourmeter hours aren't much of a concern.
Nope, wouldn’t care if they were new, only reason i care about an hour meter is to know when I oughta be changing the oil and other service, they do no good sitting in the shed so they don’t accumulate hours, i can buy a complete engine rebuild kit from everything from the M to the TD7G dozer for less than i can buy one 20 hp honda. They were made to run, they oughta be.

Nope, wouldn’t care if they were new, only reason i care about an hour meter is to know when I oughta be changing the oil and other service, they do no good sitting in the shed so they don’t accumulate hours, i can buy a complete engine rebuild kit from everything from the M to the TD7G dozer for less than i can buy one 20 hp honda. They were made to run, they oughta be.

Right, but when it's new and you keep the hours down, it keeps operating costs down as well as keeps the value up.

Example...

It wouldn't normally make sense to use a $70,000 skid steer that burns 3 gallons of fuel an hour to power a wood splitter if a 5hp $150 engine that can run all day on a gallon can easily power it.

Right, but when it's new and you keep the hours down, it keeps operating costs down as well as keeps the value up.

Example...

It wouldn't normally make sense to use a $70,000 skid steer that burns 3 gallons of fuel an hour to power a wood splitter if a 5hp $150 engine that can run all day on a gallon can easily power it.
If it helped me justify a 70k skidsteer to my wife, you can bet your arse and someone elses too that i would use it though so lets just keep it down about cheap engines ok?

Well I ordered my PTO pump last night , a lot of freight from surplus center but was still cheaper than anywhere else i found. I also ordered steel for the tank, ill pick up some threaded bungs today if I make it to town. Bung..now theres a word

Outstanding job chaining down your splitter. I used to use fewer chains binding down dozers :laugh:

Good to see you are stretching out the life/use of your tractors. Why not!

Well I ordered my PTO pump last night , a lot of freight from surplus center but was still cheaper than anywhere else i found. I also ordered steel for the tank, ill pick up some threaded bungs today if I make it to town. Bung..now theres a word

Can they cut and bend it up? I made an 85 gallon tank once, the cost to have it ready to weld was minimal, maybe $75

Can they cut and bend it up? I made an 85 gallon tank once, the cost to have it ready to weld was minimal, maybe $75
They will shear cut but not bend, my brake isn’t heavy enough to do 1/8, ive done a few others before, including a 100 gallon skid tank, once you get it all tacked up the mig makes short work of it i want a big press brake.. but then, i want a lot of stuff. I could plasma it all out, but shear cut is so much easier on bigger stuff i have perforated with the plasma and torch bent around the loader bucket lip, then welded the seams back up.. it worked ok but the final seam can be tricky to get lined up just right

Back