bought an 064 on E-bay

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldiron

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I am a sucker for Stihl Saws and I found a 064 on e-bay and pulled the trigger on it. this is what the seller said. "THIS IS A CLEAN, OLD STIHL 064 AV CHAINSAW POWER HEAD. IT SHOULD NOT NEED MUCH TO MAKE IT A GOOD FIREWOOD SAW. IT RUNS STRONG WITH FUEL SPRAYED INTO CARB. IT PULLS OVER WITH GREAT COMPRESSION AND HOT SPARK. ITS FINISH IS A BIT ASHY AND MISSING A LIGHT AMOUNT OF FINISH DUE TO ITS AGE, USE, AND STORAGE. THE FOOT PLATE HAS BEEN CRACKED AND WAS NEATLY TRIMMED. IT IS MISSING A CARB SHIM, CLUTCH COVER, AND HAS A BROKEN BRAKE HANDLE. THE SHROUD HAS SOME HEAT DAMAGE AND HAS FOIL TAPE COVERING IT. IT RUNS STRONG WITH FUEL SPRAYED INTO CARB BUT WILL NOT PULL FUEL FROM THE CARB. IT MIGHT REQUIRE A CLEANING OR REBUILD. YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!!!." I was super excited when it came in and I quickly checked compression by holding the saw by the rope and letting it drop, it fell slowly and held almost to the floor. I put fuel in and she fired and sputtered and died, funny when he said it wouldn't pull fuel. tweaked the carb and she ran but sounded like it had an air leak. start tearing in to it and found someone had been in there before me who either had no money or didn't know what they were doing (Not that I know much either). The fuel line was a joke! the old line had rotted so they used tygon and pushed it through part of the original fuel line so it would "seal" (leaked bad) where it exited the tank. they left the old filter in the tank rattling around. There was no seal on the gas cap, and the carburetor had no gasket ( I'm thinking my air leak?), and they had used a solvent trying to clean the plastics and it now looks like it has been in the sun for decades, even the paint looks bad, on the bright side there is very little sawdust in it. The piston is scored on the exhaust side but not to bad (great compression???), cyl looks great. A little transfer but it should clean up well. It looks like they used a piece of thick cardboard for a base gasket, it measured at .0885 thick. I'm not un happy with it as of yet. it has a KS 1122 jug. I need a new brake handle as it was broken, and I want to get the HD air filter set up for it instead of the one it has now. So now I need to go to the trading post to see if any of you guys have the parts that I'm needing :).

The crank bearings are tight. I plan on replacing the crank seals since I have it apart, maybe I should replace the bearings while I am at it. I am hoping that this saw will be a keeper. I needed a larger saw than my 044 but don't have the money for a 066 right now and so I bought this one hoping it would be a fairly easy fix. I bought my 044 on e-bay and all it needed was an impulse line and a chain, I was blessed in that buy, it's been an awesome saw! I have a tree coming up that I'm supposed to take down that is 63" at the base and was hoping to have the saw running before then. A buddy has a 395 that I can borrow if I have to.

David,

You better hurry up, and get that saw fixed. Your guide bar will be there this week.;)
LOL I plan on it . Just got off the phone with Madsens and the gasket seal kit is 38.05. plan on getting my Chain from them to. Anything else I should replace while I am in here?

LOL I plan on it . Just got off the phone with Madsens and the gasket seal kit is 38.05. plan on getting my Chain from them to. Anything else I should replace while I am in here?
That sounds a little high on the gasket kit. Do you not have a local dealer?
+1
Also, how much chain are you planning to buy?

Just a couple loops. I don't cut as much as some of you. I have several local dealers. I just called one and they quoted me 35.93 for the gasket kit part number 1122 007 1051. I like dealing with Madsens. they know what their talking about compared to the guys here. Half the time they can't even find the parts with the part number if I give it to them.

Coldiron before you split the case put the cylinder back on, no piston needed if it's off already and pressure it up. don't worry about seal and gaskets leaking as your replacing those then closely check the steel insert that holds the clutch side bearing in the case. This is prone to leaking and easy to miss. I caution you to check it now because there is no repair, if it leaks it's because the insert has spun in the case and you will have a air leak that's hard to find and nonrepairable AFTER you spent all that time /money! This is a 064/early 066 only issue. And yes don't ask me how I know ! Ken

So I got some time to work on the saw today and found some one has already put new bearings (Unless stihl used SKF?) and crank seals in. It was the head gasket that was leaking as it was not a proper gasket as far as I can tell (looks hand cut and is very thick). since I have it this far apart I am contemplating buying a Harbor Junk powder coating unit and try to make it look new. Maybe get it ported to. Dunno if I can afford that though.

So I got some time to work on the saw today and found some one has already put new bearings (Unless stihl used SKF?) and crank seals in. It was the head gasket that was leaking as it was not a proper gasket as far as I can tell (looks hand cut and is very thick). since I have it this far apart I am contemplating buying a Harbor Junk powder coating unit and try to make it look new. Maybe get it ported to. Dunno if I can afford that though.
As far as powder coating send it to Glock 37 , his company does nice work and has the stihl colors

Latest posts

Back