Bought some land, What are these?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAOConstruction

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all, so i bought some land and have been doing some clearing. Trying to get vines and things off the big trees so they can grow even bigger! I think this is a crabapple tree? the other pictures are of some sort of vine bush that has choked out some big trees so I'm tring to get rid of those and buckthorn. What are the names of these?

Most of those vine type bushes are down by a small pond.
IMG_20180618_103325.jpg

IMG_20180618_103325.jpg

IMG_20180618_103502.jpg

IMG_20180618_103516.jpg

IMG_20180618_103508.jpg

IMG_20180618_103234.jpg

Thanks for the replys! The twigs start out as long like thorns, then grow into limbs....very painful lol. Ill post another picture of that vine bush tree thing. This is the stump. I never knew how hard it was to take pictures of trees. Its only 8 acres so Ill try and cut down as many of these bush like things i can find next to larger trees

...cut down as many of these bush like things i can find...

Yeah, they're an invasive, non-native plant... if I'm not mistaken, I think Wisconsin is one of the states spending a fortune trying to irradicate it. It's a noxious weed, so it's possible you could be fined if you don't get rid of it.
If it helps you... here's another way that's a little less labor intensive...
Mix equal parts Tordon, Roundup and diesel fuel (or gasoline) in a glass jar. Get a $3 package of those small, disposable, Chinese paint brushes. Cut the thing off (main stems) close to the ground and immediately paint the tops of the stumps with the mixture. It will be blue when you paint it on, but that will disappear in a couple of days. This will kill the stump and its roots. Never spray this stuff, though! Just paint it on the fresh cuts on the stumps, especially around the edge where the cambium/bark is, to kill them. It will stay in the root system of the honeysuckle for so long, it will usually biodegrade before any of it leaches into the soil. I've never had it kill anything but what I painted it on. I use this on everything from saplings, shrubs, etc. all the way up to huge cottonwood stumps. Kills 'em dead, so they don't just grow back.

You might want to get a decent arborist handsaw. They cut very fast and it's a lot lighter than a chainsaw for trudging around in the woods. Worth their weight in gold.

Handsaws

The Silky saws are the best, but expensive... since you'll be hitting dirt with it alot, the Fanno saws for about $23 will be fine for this work.

LoL... that's ok, man... buckthorn looks a lot like some cherry trees! The giveaway is the veins on the leaves... central vein, with about three veins that come off that and curve back to the tip of the leaf.
Yep, looks a lot like a dogwood leaf with the vein pattern.

Latest posts

Back