Box elder maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawmiller

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Was wondering what one would consider a box elder maple to Hard or a soft maple just curios say if a person took a few logs to a mill to get scaled up to sell them and the logyard employee didnt know a box elder think hed call it hard maple ??

I would consider it soft maple, but I believe all maples are technically hardwoods.

I completed agree, it's definitely soft much like other maples. I actually don't enjoy these trees simply because they are the one that my allergies can't stand, plus the box elder bugs that come with them can be somewhat irritating.

I completed agree, it's definitely soft much like other maples. I actually don't enjoy these trees simply because they are the one that my allergies can't stand, plus the box elder bugs that come with them can be somewhat irritating.
Yes those bugs are a menace

Was wondering what one would consider a box elder maple to Hard or a soft maple just curios say if a person took a few logs to a mill to get scaled up to sell them and the logyard employee didnt know a box elder think hed call it hard maple ??
Box elder can have spectacular figure and color inside. I think it would be worth knowing regardless of how hard or soft it is. It turns very nicely and I am a big fan.

There will be a lot of local considerations in regard to the “quality” of box elder lumber and it’s value or purpose. It is a soft maple to most and therefore limited to interior non structural uses even though good non spalted straight grained lumber is sometimes found as the secondary lumber in small cabinets, etc. If it is spalted, compressed, burl or otherwise figured it has decorative value such as drawer fronts.

Not much is commercially milled around here however lots of the smaller individual millers usually have some in stock.
It is easy to work with hand tools and has a niche market with the traditional tool only folks, as well as being popular with wood turners.

It is a common tree, often on the list of trees to be removed from maintained areas.

Cannot image an experienced person purchasing logs not recognizing box elder, or at least not seeing it as different from sugar maple.

I mill them from time to time,

standard.jpg

SR

There will be a lot of local considerations in regard to the “quality” of box elder lumber and it’s value or purpose. It is a soft maple to most and therefore limited to interior non structural uses even though good non spalted straight grained lumber is sometimes found as the secondary lumber in small cabinets, etc. If it is spalted, compressed, burl or otherwise figured it has decorative value such as drawer fronts.

Not much is commercially milled around here however lots of the smaller individual millers usually have some in stock.
It is easy to work with hand tools and has a niche market with the traditional tool only folks, as well as being popular with wood turners.

It is a common tree, often on the list of trees to be removed from maintained areas.

Cannot image an experienced person purchasing logs not recognizing box elder, or at least not seeing it as different from sugar maple.
Thanks for your input that was very interesting thanks again

Yes I agree.
I am not a professional miller, arborist or woodworker but even I know that Boxelder ( Manitoba Maple as it's sometimes called around here) is a softer species and is WAY different from very hard Sugar Maple.
You can get as much of it as you want for free here too. No one wants them and are always asking me to fell them.

Back