Boxelder cookies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOakAdot

ArboristSite newb
Reaction score
IMG_1313.JPG IMG_1314.JPG A friend of mine is a foreman for a large tree outfit and came across a beautiful boxelder that came down in some storms.

He called me and said it was elm and when I saw the pics I immediately knew it was boxelder. The estimator needs to work on his identification skills lol.

About 24" plus diameter and anywhere from 2" to 3.5" I would guess.

It does have a NICE pattern to it! LOL!!! Wonder what it would look like as boards?--Don't have any of the elders around here that I know of! thanks; sonny580
It can really vary. It can have pink streaks to almost all pink heartwood. Makes some nice boards! We get some occasionally at my buddy's mill. Always exciting to see what's inside. Every log is different.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

It can really vary. It can have pink streaks to almost all pink heartwood. Makes some nice boards! We get some occasionally at my buddy's mill. Always exciting to see what's inside. Every log is different.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
We have so much Boxelder here it's like a weed.
Seriously you can't even give it away here.

So a fine woodworker I know seemed to think that's ambrosia. I guess boxelder reacts with the fungus differently than maple and causes red ambrosia instead of the normal color.

That makes sense to me because I've seen boxelder with no red at all. They were leaving the tree on site otherwise I would have milled it up like normal. I'll take what I can get though. If you google it you can find some regular sawn boards and the figure looks just as neat.

Andrew

Ugh! I have been trying to rid my property of Box Elders since I bought it. They seem to be a magnet for bugs. it they weren't infested i would have tried to mill them. They're definitely a junk tree around here.

It's a junk tree here too. A lot of them throughout our local creeks paths and stuff. Don't seem to be too big, look scraggly, and without that ambrosia look pretty plain.

Seems to be a softer wood as well. Can't deny those red colors though.

Back