Boxwood Elder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdntbone303

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone out there milling boxwood Elder, it has red/pink streaks in it. I started blocking/splitting a limb from these trees for firewood before I figured out what species they were. I am planing on milling them but is there a market out there for it? Is the wood too soft for live edge tables and furniture? I can’t find anyone with ads buying/selling in Quebec or even Canada for that matter so it is either a rare species in these parts or undesirable.
CDD936AE-D86C-4DB7-90D1-A71B3090798A.jpeg 90187310-244F-4108-82BD-EC674F3CCEAB.jpeg 021269FB-E4D2-4930-8EFF-4B5B9DD415C1.jpeg

The colors will wow you when milled, but it's my understanding that the reds and pinks fade to more of brown/gray with time.
Popular wood for turners and when freshly cut/turned the colors can be wild.

I've seen some very nice turnings from Box Elder and the red had not faded. Perhaps coated with uv inhibiting varnish? I can't remember what the maker said about it but he had no trouble with fading over time.
I would think it is too soft for something like a table unless you covered it with glass top or epoxy.

Latest posts

Back