Brand new 044/440 to buy or not to buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeblacky

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Basically I need some help, I've been offered an 044/440 hybrid, built out of almost entirely brand new and all genuine Stihl parts. Here's the list:

-Brand new 440 crank case, bearings, crankshaft and seals
-Brand new 12mm non decomp 044 Stihl piston and cylinder
-Brand new starter housing
-Brand new 044 clutch cover
-Brand new 440 fuel tank, HD filter setup, hoses, intake boot and wrap handle
-Brand new 440 carb
-Brand new 440 plastics with 044 name plate
-Brand new clutch and rim sprocket
-Brand new 25" Stihl bar and chain never touched wood
-Brand new bolts all round

The used parts are:

-flywheel
-coil
-wiring harness
-exhaust

Pics below

Let me know what you guys think it's worth?

I'd be tempted to swap out the top end for a brand new 440 top end as it has the plastics ready for a decomp. Thoughts?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 57
That was my thinking. Do you have any idea what the retail was on a 440 when they came out? That's essentially what it is. I'll snap it up and get a few more pics up this week, the seller still has all the Stihl boxes the parts came in

True, i don't use the decomp on the 090 let alone a little 440, I just thought about making it a true 440 that's never been in wood rather than a mashup of the two

Technically I think the 044 which is how its marked on the top badge could be a decomp or non-decomp saw depending on how the dealer ordered it or how it came from factory. I'm thinking this based on experience with the 026, 036, 066 series saws. Wait I see the flippy caps now... So you were thinking change the top badge and the top end...? Sounds like a lot of extra cash for a 440 restore. I might think about it for a mint 044 10mm but if you do go down that path... You need to get rid of the Rollomatic E bar and replace with a NOS Rollomatic ES wide tip 25" bar.

listing_pic_404358_1347583981.jpeg

You can see a narrow tip and wide tip in this pic
article_guidebar.jpg

Thanks for the extra info, it does seem like a lot of extra work for no real gain on second thoughts. May just leave it as is, other than selling the brand new Stihl bar and chain and sticking a sugihara on there or something similar.

If I could bring myself to do it I'd probably double my money parting the saw out, but I don't think I have it in me :baaa:

Yeah I'm going to get it tomorrow if the seller will answer his phone. Brad, okay I get the point I'll say no more so as not to wind anyone else up

I'll give the saw a going over when I get it in the shop. As for the used parts, there's only the coil that would ever cause me any worry, so I could always swap it out for a new one if need be

Back