Brand new Echo CS-590has no spark at all

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been working on Echo saws (and other power equipment) for decades, and have only seen one bad coil on any of their newer stuff, and that was last year on a leaf blower. I did notice in the IPL's that they made several changes and used two different part numbers for the coil. I didn't catch that deal the first time, purchased the wrong one it it would BARELY run. Got the right coil in and good to go.

You'll find several different coil part numbers listed in the IPL's for the 590, 600, and 620's. The later 600's seem to share more parts with the 590's and the 620's are more stand alone.

Shouldn't be a worry for you at this point as certainly it would be replaced under warranty by a dealer......Cliff

I know this is an old thread but it has decent placement in the google search for "echo cs 590 won't start no spark". I ran into this recently with a 2020-built CS-590. Figured I'd share my experience in case someone else sees this.
Try re-gapping your ignition coil with the flywheel magnets. (instructions below)

I have a couple of these saws and this newest one, I cut and blocked maybe 2 small trees with it and leveled a few stumps. Third cutting session, no start, no spark.
Returning it was an option but they didn't have any other 59cc saws in stock to exchange for; everyone buying saws for cleanup following Hurricane Sally. Likewise, the repair shops are all backed up for at least a month & the downside of the Echo warranty is you have to use you an Echo dealer, no self-repair / parts swap.

Instruction for re-gapping the coil:

Remove the Air Filter Cover, and Remove the Engine Cover (t-16 maybe?) Remove the flywheel assembly, remove the one screw on the chain brake handle on that side and loosen the opposite side. Remove the screws holding the ignition coil. A business card is close enough to measure your gap; using a business card, gap the magnets on the flywheel with the ignition coil. Rotate the flywheel so that the magnets engage with the coil through the business card. Re-tighten the screws on the coil and reinstall the flywheel, remove the business card, check for spark.
If spark - put it back together and go cutting. If no spark, put it back together and take it to the service counter for warranty work. (Ignition coil is $140ish retail)

Be safe.

I know this is an old thread but it has decent placement in the google search for "echo cs 590 won't start no spark". I ran into this recently with a 2020-built CS-590. Figured I'd share my experience in case someone else sees this.
Try re-gapping your ignition coil with the flywheel magnets. (instructions below)

I have a couple of these saws and this newest one, I cut and blocked maybe 2 small trees with it and leveled a few stumps. Third cutting session, no start, no spark.
Returning it was an option but they didn't have any other 59cc saws in stock to exchange for; everyone buying saws for cleanup following Hurricane Sally. Likewise, the repair shops are all backed up for at least a month & the downside of the Echo warranty is you have to use you an Echo dealer, no self-repair / parts swap.

Instruction for re-gapping the coil:

Remove the Air Filter Cover, and Remove the Engine Cover (t-16 maybe?) Remove the flywheel assembly, remove the one screw on the chain brake handle on that side and loosen the opposite side. Remove the screws holding the ignition coil. A business card is close enough to measure your gap; using a business card, gap the magnets on the flywheel with the ignition coil. Rotate the flywheel so that the magnets engage with the coil through the business card. Re-tighten the screws on the coil and reinstall the flywheel, remove the business card, check for spark.
If spark - put it back together and go cutting. If no spark, put it back together and take it to the service counter for warranty work. (Ignition coil is $140ish retail)

Be safe.
Howdy neighbor (Pensacola)

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back