Brand new Stihl 046 magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachb46

Reaction score
I just picked up a brand new 046 magnum from an older gentleman that was replaced by his insurance company but he never used it. I've got a couple questions, and I've been searching this site, lots of info good here.
First question how old would this saw be? He thought 5-6 years old wasn't sure tho. Anyway to tell by serial number?
Second question, he claims this is a Germany made saw so it's rare? Just curious on my part. I feel I bought it right and I bought it to use it not because it was "rare"
Third and last question what are some good worth while mods? I'm not sure I can leave this workhorse stock.......

Thanks for all or any replies! Newbie here so take it easy!
Ps the saw started on 7th pull after setting and seems to run great!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 117
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 110
That beautiful of a saw if you were going to have it modded...in my opinion...I would send straight to a porter

Hope this is a good enough picture

Attachments

• EC776A00-6F72-44C2-A90B-6286705E6808.jpeg
    EC776A00-6F72-44C2-A90B-6286705E6808.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
2023a30d7011099be1771083bd9fca20.jpg
046 is a hellacious saw especially when done up real nice.

I agree with most to keep it like it is and very low use. But if you are going to go for it then send it off and do it all the way

2023a30d7011099be1771083bd9fca20.jpg
046 is a hellacious saw especially when done up real nice.

I agree with most to keep it like it is and very low use. But if you are going to go for it then send it off and do it all the way
Just a bit of poison ivy, huh?

To the OP. Sell that saw to a collector. I bet I bet the right Porter here would swap that with a done up ported one as an even trade.

That’s just too pretty to beat on, and it’s worth mone because of it.

Welcome to the forum. Where are you located in Iowa? I’m in Eastern Iowa along the Mississippi.Nice saw by the way!

Dang... that is nice!

If you’re not a collector (nothing wrong with not being one) my guess is that you could sell the saw for $700 & buy another not so pretty saw of equal quality for $500. You’d have a saw you wouldn’t worry about getting dirty, make a collector’s day, and make a profit.

Kinda like finding an old truck with low mileage. Sure you could make it a daily driver, but to the right buyer, it’s treasure.

My $0.02.

Latest posts

Back