Brand New Stihl 460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greener

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just bought a new 460 (yes, life is good). Any suggestions or any special care instructions while it is being broken in?

I like to do heat cycles with new saws before cutting wood.
Start and worm up by blipping throttle but dont run wide open.
Let cool down and then do it again two more times.
Go cut wood check tune in the cut.

Top buy,
after the first 10 to 12 cuts you do with it turn it off and let it cool right down before running it for extended time.

What does this do?

Makes some people feel special LOL
In all seriousness, run the saw like you bought it to use. I would avoid WOT with no load for a couple tanks though. More important than any kind of break in is the kind of oil your using, make sure it's a good quality synthetic oil.

What does this do?

At my local chainsaw shop which my mate owns, i have seen a few saws that have come back after someone has just got them and flogged them stright away, seals have let go, crank gets too hot to quick, by letting it cool down after the first 10-12 cuts it let
saw settle in better and not get to hot on the first run, also on the first 10 - 12 cuts the chain will strech the most, if you let it cool down it will harden and last longer without streching, if you just tighten it up and keep going it can stuff a chain and wreck a bar,
I had a look at one saw sometime ago the owner had just kept tightening a new chain on first use and at the end of the day he just put saw away and overnight the chain cooled and contracted and busted the crank.

At my local chainsaw shop which my mate owns, i have seen a few saws that have come back after someone has just got them and flogged them stright away, seals have let go, crank gets too hot to quick, by letting it cool down after the first 10-12 cuts it let
saw settle in better and not get to hot on the first run, also on the first 10 - 12 cuts the chain will strech the most, if you let it cool down it will harden and last longer without streching, if you just tighten it up and keep going it can stuff a chain and wreck a bar,
I had a look at one saw sometime ago the owner had just kept tightening a new chain on first use and at the end of the day he just put saw away and overnight the chain cooled and contracted and busted the crank.

That's ridiculous, wait till are actually getting paid to cut, you don't have time for that crap. I've personally never had a problem, I think there's another problem besides the chain shrinking, it should not stretch that much.

I've heard of others breaking cranks from over tightening chains. I like to run regular dino oil and a little rich for a 2.5 gallon can of fuel and then go to synthetic. It seems like they break in faster that way to me any way. Some of the saws I had seemed to peak after 6-8 tanks of dino and the ones on synthetic seem like 20 tanks.

Back