Breaking flywheel fins

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeacoastFirewood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello- I am new to the forum, but have read for quite some time. Could not find the answer to my question below.
Anyway here’s the scenario-

I took my dads 270c home the other day and took it apart for a cleaning (because he apparently has never really cleaned it).
Upon taking the cover off I noticed the flywheel is missing most of it teeth -the ones left are damaged.

How does this happen? I told him and he said he never noticed it. The saw is about 10 years old. Heavily used.

Attachments

• FAB476B6-F385-4062-870B-97FBD68ACBB9.jpeg
    FAB476B6-F385-4062-870B-97FBD68ACBB9.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 48
Has your Dad got a hearing problem?

Too many 300 mag rounds while successfully hunting over the years would probably keep me from hearing that carnage too, but the glitter on my boot tops would get my attention, lol.

You already know that you’ll need to replace that flywheel.

For some reason the 270 series (coil on top) seem to be prone to screws loosening / falling out. Had that happen to one of our trail crew saws.

Has your Dad got a hearing problem?

Too many 300 mag rounds while successfully hunting over the years would probably keep me from hearing that carnage too, but the glitter on my boot tops would get my attention, lol.

You already know that you’ll need to replace that flywheel.

He is a lifelong woodworker with his own milling shop - so although earplugs helped - im sure the countless hours at the table saw, planer and joiner didn't...

As for the flywheel, new one is on order, rest of the Powerhead looked good. FWIW I checked the coil and counted the screws against the diagram, none are missing. Furthermore, all the screws (including the ones behind the flywheel are still in place and factory tight.

Thanks for the insight guys

The flywheel fins get broken by backyard mechanics wedging a screwdriver in them to hold the FW still when they are loosening or tightening the nut. If they break a fin on one side, they break another on the other side to keep it balanced. Who cares about how it pumps cooling air anyway.

Latest posts

Back