Breaking in a New Chain Saw Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Palm sap corrodes the saw casing, it causes the bar and chain to rust.

Price of chain here 16" $33USD and up, bars $75USD and up, chain oil $10UDS a gallon (that was on sale) and more...

I STILL have never had a chain wear out components before there was no more cutter left to reasonably sharpen.

Last edited:
Palm sap corrodes the saw casing, it causes the bar and chain to rust.

Price of chain here 16" $33USD and up, bars $75USD and up, chain oil $10UDS a gallon (that was on sale) and more....GET TO WORK!!!

I STILL have never had a chain wear out components before there was no more cutter left to reasonably sharpen.
The more I have thought about soaking new chains prior to placing on the Chain Saw does in fact make a some sense.
Look at it from another angle. When the Chains Components first come out of the Forge, they are dipped in a paint like coating, and dipped in cooling oil. This Oil isn't a lubricating oil.
I think now that soaking the chains in Bar Oil, the Chain is already lubricated when it is put on the Saw, and helps a bit against friction, so when the saw first starts up, and spins the chain, there is more than ample oil on the chain to help prevent some of the friction, while the Oil Pump on the Saw starts pumping the Oil.
I don't know about you guys, but after looking at it this way does make some sense. I don't know, you tell me. Thanks. Bruce.

I was wondering, how you other Guys, Break in your new Chain Saw Chains.
I like to let my chains soak in Bar Oil plastic tub with a lid on it, for over night, and let them hang for over another night, to let the some of the excess Bar Oil drip off them into another plastic tub, so I don't get Bar Oil, all over the floor. I then install the New Chain onto the Chain Saw, and take the saw outside.
Being that my old McCulloch Chain Saws, have Manual Oiler's as well, I pump extra Bar Oil onto the New Chain, while running the saw at mid way to wide open, but not wide open. I run the Chain Saw like this, for about 5 to 10 minutes. After that I then retighten up the New Chain, and cut wood for a few minutes, and check the chain tension again for tightness.
So I was wondering how you Fellas on AS break in your New Chains? I know that there are Makes of Chain Saws out there that do not have Manual Oilers on them, and it would be nice to see how you Guys go about New Chainsaw Chain Break in. Thanks. Bruce.
I rivet it together and run the living @#%$ out of it until it's loose. I then tighten it up and do it again.

As I said earlier, I don't soak my chains. Been reading this thread and thinking how soaking could be beneficial. If you install a dry chain, the tension will pull the rivets against the sides of the link holes and there will be some period (short?) when little or no lube can get into this area - where the wear occurs. I can see how pre-soaking would allow oil to penetrate these areas and might prevent premature wear - especiallly if you go right into a piece of oak or hickory. If the chain is tight enough, pre-blipping still may not get oil into all the spaces. Certainly can't hurt to soak them - and if you plan ahead and have them soaking before you need them, it won't delay your work. There will be less initial wear but it may be minimal and not cost effective for some.

As for tightening the bar nuts, I use to tighten the devil out of them thinking the bar was slipping as the chain kept getting looser. This stopped when I began using real bar oil. I just use the scrench - it gets them plenty tight.

Just think when the ol Stihl dealer sells a new saw,
puts a new chain, on a new bar,
fires that sucker up and revs the saw for a while. It takes a good while
for that new pump to start putting out oil, so that thing is real dry for
quite a period.

I think we all should demand on our next new saw that our chain be pre-soaked, bar too. and the saw run without a chain/bar on it until the pump
starts flowing.........

Let's start a new trend in saw sales............................

You Stihl dealers will thank me............................ Start soaking them
guys!!!!

chain break in

I'm relatively new to the site so I guess I don't have the credibility as some of you old timers (heh heh). Anyway my 2 cents. I have a 4' diameter junk white oak log that I bury my 25" bar into, dig the felling dogs in and try to stall out my 460. Chain is strtched and somewhat loose when Im done. I just tighten then and go cut wood. I havn't noticed any decreased chain life and the chain is ready for the woods. :chainsaw:

ms460 dp
ms260 Pro

Just think when the ol Stihl dealer sells a new saw,
puts a new chain, on a new bar,
fires that sucker up and revs the saw for a while. It takes a good while
for that new pump to start putting out oil, so that thing is real dry for
quite a period.

I think we all should demand on our next new saw that our chain be pre-soaked, bar too. and the saw run without a chain/bar on it until the pump
starts flowing.........

Let's start a new trend in saw sales............................

You Stihl dealers will thank me............................ Start soaking them
guys!!!!

:ices_rofl: :clap:

I really can not believe this thread had gone this long.

This is the thread that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. :)

Adam

I really can not believe this thread had gone this long.

This is the thread that never ends. It just goes on and on my friends. :)

Adam

Does that stand for gay firefighter?? Like on the Sopranos?

Not that there is anything wrong with that...................

All of this gay/anal talk will bring out those guys............

jayhellwig???? Smilin Bob???

Well, just joshing there a tad Bob, nothing wrong with that either, eh?

Just the gay/anal thing you inserted.............................

I wish to take the high road here and boldly state, that "very" few guys
with chainsaws are in fact "gay"..............

The ones with "Electrolux" saws, may be a little "gender confused".........

But the Stihl guys are all 100% straight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Except for the arborists that like the ms192t..................

Well, just joshing there a tad Bob, nothing wrong with that either, eh?

Just the gay/anal thing you inserted.............................

I wish to take the high road here and boldly state, that "very" few guys
with chainsaws are in fact "gay"..............

The ones with "Electrolux" saws, may be a little "gender confused".........

But the Stihl guys are all 100% straight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Except for the arborists that like the ms192t..................

Nah. It takes a lot of balls to pull out a 192t in front of someone, so I don't think they're gay either. Unless ofcourse they soak their chains.:laugh:

Andy

Marvel Mystery oil is great, but it discolors my nuts when I soak them in it,
but they do stay cooler............

Oh! those nuts. I was thinking of mine. My bar nuts last forever after soaking in Mystery Oil. A can of them open on the bar will only disappear one per visit by a new guy.

Harry K

Last edited:
Back