Breaking in a New Chain Saw Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just think when the old Stihl dealer sells a new saw,
puts a new chain, on a new bar,
fires that sucker up and revs the saw for a while. It takes a good while
for that new pump to start putting out oil, so that thing is real dry for
quite a period.

I think we all should demand on our next new saw that our chain be pre-soaked, bar too. and the saw run without a chain/bar on it until the pump
starts flowing.........

Let's start a new trend in saw sales............................

You Stihl dealers will thank me............................ Start soaking them
guys!!!!

Fish.
Thanks for reminding me. 7 Years ago, when I worked for a Stihl Dealership, we were not allowed to put any Bar Oil, or any type of lubrication in the Chain Saw, because Stihl didn't want to get the Customers Vehicle covered in oil.
When we sold a Customer a new Chain Saw, we had to take them and the new saw that they just bought, and Demonstrate the procedures of properly starting up a Chain Saw.
I always hated starting up the Chain Saw, and revving it up, especially with absolutely no lubrication, for the Bar, Chain and Drive Sprocket.
After the Demonstration, we had to have the Customer do the Demonstration Procedures over, to make sure they knew what they were doing. It didn't matter, if they had experience running a Chain Saw or not. That then was Stihl's Procedure then, because of Liability. I don't know how Stihl's procedure is now. Bruce.

Personally I don't just soak the chain. I put the new chain on the saw and throw the whole thing in a drum of 80-90w. Then and only then can I be certian that every single moving part is properly lubricated with an oil that is (according to my self proclaimed degree in engineering) is better than the factory specs.

I put the boy on the stick and throw the whole
boy in a drum of 80-90w. Then and only then can I be certian that every single moving part is properly lubricated with an oil that is (according to my self proclaimed degree in engineering) is better than the factory specs.

MMMMMM no flags there

Over maintenance is as bad as under maintenance and is a little more stupid.
Space Mule.
You go and tell that to any, I mean Any Farmer, and I Garentee You they will tell you to go Pound Rubber. When it comes to Planting Season, Haying Season, or Harvest Season, Every Farmer Over Does It with Mantenence, because a lot of the time, WE have to deal with a sometimes Nasty B!tch called Mother Nature, and we have to deal with a lot of Catchey Weather.
When it is fit to operate, We Have to be on the Go, and make Bloody Sure that Our Equipment is In Top Working Order. If not, when we get a lot of catchy Weather, and with Equipment Down, when the weather is good, can Make Or Break Us.
So Since I'm a Farmer As Well, SO GO POUND RUBBER. NOW WHO IS STUPID ONE???

Space Mule.
You go and tell that to any, I mean Any Farmer, and I Garentee You they will tell you to go Pound Rubber. When it comes to Planting Season, Haying Season, or Harvest Season, Every Farmer Over Does It with Mantenence, because a lot of the time, WE have to deal with a sometimes Nasty B!tch called Mother Nature, and we have to deal with a lot of Catchey Weather.
When it is fit to operate, We Have to be on the Go, and make Bloody Sure that Our Equipment is In Top Working Order. If not, when we get a lot of catchy Weather, and with Equipment Down, when the weather is good, can Make Or Break Us.

What in the heck does crop harvesting and farm equipment have to do with oiling your bar too often?

Fish.
Thanks for reminding me. 7 Years ago, when I worked for a Stihl Dealership, we were not allowed to put any Bar Oil, or any type of lubrication in the Chain Saw, because Stihl didn't want to get the Customers Vehicle covered in oil.

So, I guess you're making up for all that oil repression? :hmm3grin2orange:

Space Mule.

A bit of overreaction there. The discussion is about over maintenance. I grew up on a farm and maintenance is a never-ending process. We didn't go overboard nuts about it though. Soaking a chain in oil a day, then drip drying it a day is way over the top. That would be about the equivalent of pulling the tracks off a crawler and soaking them in oil every year.

Harry K

A bit of overreaction there. The discussion is about over maintenance. I grew up on a farm and maintenance is a never-ending process. We didn't go overboard nuts about it though. Soaking a chain in oil a day, then drip drying it a day is way over the top. That would be about the equivalent of pulling the tracks off a crawler and soaking them in oil every year.

Harry K

:ices_rofl: You don't do that? I'll bet you don't replace the air in your tires with fresh stuff, either. And shoudn't we be out painting the blade on the Cat so the cutting edge doesn't rust?

:ices_rofl: You don't do that? I'll bet you don't replace the air in your tires with fresh stuff, either. And shoudn't we be out painting the blade on the Cat so the cutting edge doesn't rust?

Rust on the blade shouldn't be a problem if you soak it in oil every night. But don't spill the oil in the woods. That would be a problem. :cheers:

What in the heck does crop harvesting and farm equipment have to do with oiling your bar too often?
Space Mule.
Talking to people like you is like:deadhorse: . I was talking about Pre Soaking A Brand New Chain Prior To Installing On To Your Chain Saw, Not Oiling Your Bar Too Often
You talking this way is Showing How Intelligent you Really Are.

Space Mule.
Talking to people like you is like:deadhorse: . I was talking about Pre Soaking A Brand New Chain Prior To Installing On To Your Chain Saw, Not Oiling Your Bar Too Often
You talking this way is Showing How Intelligent you Really Are.

I know what you were talking about. In the end, it's all about greasing your bar though, isn't it. :hmm3grin2orange:

:ices_rofl: You don't do that? I'll bet you don't replace the air in your tires with fresh stuff, either.

Now that's overkill. Anyone knows you only need to change air twice a year. Fall air works just fine for Winter and Spring air is good for Summer - just need to top off or bleed some out. Generally, for each 10 degree change in temp, your tire pressure changes by 1 psi.

Ya need to put nitrogen in your tires just like they use in airplanes only cost ya 35 bucks to have it done and soak your rims in oil before reinflating so they dont rust.

Helium would be better. Then there might be "less ground disturbance" and the 'olgists would be happy and let skidders work on steep ground. But don't oil the seat.

And you probably shouldn't oil the handle on the saw either. Duck tape it instead.

I store my chains under a pyramid, never need sharpening.

pyramids act as "an effective resonator of randomly polarized microwave signals which can be converted into electrical energy." [1] Flanagan's claims range from enhancing the nutritional value of foods to sharpening knives. He reported that a razor blade placed in a pyramid "resonator" became smoother and less angular over time.

Latest posts

Back