Breaking In a New Echo CS-620PW Chain Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiteboarder

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought a new Echo CS-620PW. My old Craftsman saw is about 30 years old and it still runs fine. Just needed a bigger saw.

I bought it at a dealer and before leaving he added some fuel and oil and started it just as a demo.

Im interested in hearing your thoughts about breaking in a new saw. Yes, I'll read the owner's manual, but I'm interested in user experience. Say, for example, things like what fuel ratio to use.... Adding something like Marvel Mystery for the first tank, Sea Foam, nothing, etc, etc.

The saw's first job will be to buck 3 90 Foot cedars that I have on the ground. Then I'll be bucking some black oaks that are about 20 inches in diameter. Ideally, I'd like to break the saw in during those jobs.

You may also want to modify the muffler and remove limiter caps on carb and retune. Agree with 40:1.

I've been seeing more and more posts about using 40:1 instead of 50:1. I've been using 50:1 in my little generator because that's what it calls for... and been using the same mix in my old Craftsman saw. What makes 40:1 better?

Just a little more oil, i feel that it helps prolong the life of the saw and helps to better lube all the bearings.

Alright, sounds good to me. I'll test 40:1 in my genny and my other saw too to see how those run. If I could have them all run the same mix it would be a lot more convenient.

Alright, sounds good to me. I'll test 40:1 in my genny and my other saw too to see how those run. If I could have them all run the same mix it would be a lot more convenient.
You shouldn’t have an issue running 40:1 in all your 2 strike equipment

I just bought a new Echo CS-620PW. My old Craftsman saw is about 30 years old and it still runs fine. Just needed a bigger saw.

I bought it at a dealer and before leaving he added some fuel and oil and started it just as a demo.

Im interested in hearing your thoughts about breaking in a new saw. Yes, I'll read the owner's manual, but I'm interested in user experience. Say, for example, things like what fuel ratio to use.... Adding something like Marvel Mystery for the first tank, Sea Foam, nothing, etc, etc.

The saw's first job will be to buck 3 90 Foot cedars that I have on the ground. Then I'll be bucking some black oaks that are about 20 inches in diameter. Ideally, I'd like to break the saw in during those jobs.
Great choice of saw mate. Post some pics

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just a little more oil, i feel that it helps prolong the life of the saw and helps to better lube all the bearings.

@kiteboarder
It sounds like just a little more oil (3.2oz in a gallon of gasoline instead of 2.6), but it's really a 20% increase in the amount of oil. On a percentage basis it's a meaningful amount. Your saw will love you for it.

Yes, I'm just about to get the 620P as well. Hhhmmm, I guess I'll go with Echo's red (oil) to make ( 40 to 1). However, don't I really just want to start it and let it idle only for,err(?) - yikes I don't how long...
...half a tank's worth? Does this process seat the rings? Any thoughts?
Thanks.

First run do a tankful of limbing. Gradually building up full power.
Good idea, cut up the smaller parts first, let the saw cool 20 seconds before switching it off,
fill your own tank and go back to work at more smaller stuff, make sure your saw is not lean
and is four stroking out of the wood, and a little in smaller wood would be expected too.

Good idea, cut up the smaller parts first, let the saw cool 20 seconds before switching it off,
fill your own tank and go back to work at more smaller stuff, make sure your saw is not lean
and is four stroking out of the wood, and a little in smaller wood would be expected too.
What is "four stroking out the wood" mean?

Its the rough noise you hear when you rev the engine full open for a few seconds when its not under pressure,
it should go away when you put the saw into the wood and its under a bit of pressure, the pressure of the cut
heats the saw up more and it burns the fuel completely and the four stroking noise stops,
listen to it stopping as this guy lifts the pressure off the saw in the cut, you will see his had rise and the four
stroking coming on, then as he cuts again the four stroking stops, a little four stroking is good, a saw that
screams when revved up is not good, it wont be screaming for long, it means it is not getting enough fuel,
it needs richened up by at least screwing the high needle out on the carb, out lets in more fuel and should lead
to four stroking out of the cut or when under little to no pressure.

THIS IS THE CLOSEST TO YOUR ECHO I COULD FIND,
It four strokes for almost the entire cut, its a little rich, same principle regardless of saw,
but its ok for break in as its a sign enough fuel is getting to the engine,
if you had too little fuel you would have no four stroking, and a hot running saw,
it would not be good at all, too little fuel causes heat to rise and it will melt the piston
destroying it, the rings and most likely the cylinder, screaming is not good.

Its the rough noise you hear when you rev the engine full open for a few seconds when its not under pressure,
it should go away when you put the saw into the wood and its under a bit of pressure, the pressure of the cut
heats the saw up more and it burns the fuel completely and the four stroking noise stops,
listen to it stopping as this guy lifts the pressure off the saw in the cut, you will see his had rise and the four
stroking coming on, then as he cuts again the four stroking stops, a little four stroking is good, a saw that
screams when revved up is not good, it wont be screaming for long, it means it is not getting enough fuel,
it needs richened up by at least screwing the high needle out on the carb, out lets in more fuel and should lead
to four stroking out of the cut or when under little to no pressure.

You are the Grace!- Thanks for responding ...and a video!

Back