Briggs 22HP motor problems? Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check the vent in the gas cap.

I saw TWO separate John Deere lawn tractors do this... Both had Briggs motors on them. Run the mower until it dies/sputters & then open the gas cap. If you hear a big "whoosh!" it is probably the gas cap. It was an insane easy fix. Just poke a toothpick in the vent hole & blow some compressed air around the underside of the cap.

I saw TWO separate John Deere lawn tractors do this... Both had Briggs motors on them. Run the mower until it dies/sputters & then open the gas cap. If you hear a big "whoosh!" it is probably the gas cap. It was an insane easy fix. Just poke a toothpick in the vent hole & blow some compressed air around the underside of the cap.
WetBehindtheEar,
Great tip! I had the same problem with a Poulan 22HP B/S. Today I tried your trick and got the whoosh. I just loosened the cap during the mowing and it ran for an hour instead of the 15 minutes I got yesterday.
Thanks again.
Smitty

umm that little safety feature needs to be energized for the engine to run if you unplug it the solenoid wont be energized and it will not pull the needle thus blocking fuel flow. i forget about those little buggers. it could be faulty and causeing the problem as well.
Yeah i make shure i have a good float needle then i gring the fuel stop solenoid tip at an angle they can have issues when they corrode or loose there resistance

Yep, over my head. I hate B/S motors, always have. Thanks for your offer, I think bringing it to you would cost more than the mower is worth! It is a shame, this motor only has 120 hours on it, guess I will keep mowing his yard. Thanks for the tips everybody, just wished it would be something simpler.
Hi folks. New to this forum. Searching for the same problem. Mine has only 76 hrs on it. Sounds like the same issue. Never been a big fan of Briggs motors either. Had on older walk behind with a Kohler pull start. Never failed to start on first pull for over eight years I had it. Just changed the oil and plugs, kept clean gas in it, general mtce. Such a shame the salesman assured me that Briggs/Stratton has come a long way with their motors and this 22hp V-Twin was really solid. Guess I wont listen to the salesman again. Shame on me. Now the task of getting someone in my area to take a look at it. Never worked on a Briggs before, let alone a V-Twin. Thanks for the info folks.
And one other thing, since this issue started end of last season (with even less hours) it has been a bear to start. Choke in any position does not seem to help. If I dont use starter fluid I will easily drain the battery. Plug is good, fuel is clean, new fuel filter, oil good as well. Just wanted to mention this in case someone may have another idea on the root of the issue.
Thanks again.

Hi folks. New to this forum. Searching for the same problem. Mine has only 76 hrs on it. Sounds like the same issue. Never been a big fan of Briggs motors either. Had on older walk behind with a Kohler pull start. Never failed to start on first pull for over eight years I had it. Just changed the oil and plugs, kept clean gas in it, general mtce. Such a shame the salesman assured me that Briggs/Stratton has come a long way with their motors and this 22hp V-Twin was really solid. Guess I wont listen to the salesman again. Shame on me. Now the task of getting someone in my area to take a look at it. Never worked on a Briggs before, let alone a V-Twin. Thanks for the info folks.
And one other thing, since this issue started end of last season (with even less hours) it has been a bear to start. Choke in any position does not seem to help. If I dont use starter fluid I will easily drain the battery. Plug is good, fuel is clean, new fuel filter, oil good as well. Just wanted to mention this in case someone may have another idea on the root of the issue.
Thanks again.
i live off old 321 you can bring it to my shop and i will take a look or i can come to you

i have seen plastic pieces in the gas tank. its from where something went wrong in the injection process. had one that went to three shop and they kept saying the motor was bad. bring it to me and found the problem.

From my experience any time a Briggs does that the valves need adjusted. I had a mower that I thought was dead gave it to my friend for whatever. Next thing I know he's going 30mph on it all that was wrong was valve adjustment.

Latest posts

Back