Briggs 7.75hp Intek

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I’ve got an old intek engine on my toro mower it runs okay, but doesn’t start worth a crap. The exhaust reeks of gas when it’s running, and I believe it could have a valve not seating. I’m toying with the idea of doing a compression check before I rip the top end down. Will that pick up on a leaky valve? If so what should it read if it’s okay, and how can I otherwise tell that without tearing the head off?

Well crappo. By the time I do all that it may just be easier to pull the head off and do a drain test to see if the valves leak. Sounds like a fall/winter thing, since she’s currently rolling.

Well crappo. By the time I do all that it may just be easier to pull the head off and do a drain test to see if the valves leak. Sounds like a fall/winter thing, since she’s currently rolling.
you only need to give the rocker thread a couple of turns, and if the compression is ok then its not a head removal job

Back