Briggs intek popping from the exhaust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
i just got a toro super recycler with a Briggs 6.5 intek. Cleaned the carb bowl and jet, new fuel and spark plug. The engine runs good but will randomly “pop” for no reason. Is this just the state of Briggs, or could there be something going on? It only does it under no load conditions. The air filter seems okay. I remember the old flat head Briggs all used to pop...it’s annoying.

a random pop at idle is usually a sign of lean conditions, is there an idle mixture screw fitted ?
There is, but it’s behind a Welch plug. I tried drilling it out, but these bastards want to make it near impossible to adjust anything. It is hard to start also so I’m thinking maybe i should try adjusting the valves before anything. It has ran for probably 15 years without anybody doing it I would bet.

You all were wrong and right. It was suspiciously hard to pull so I went ahead and set the valves, it got 100% easier to pull and started on the first rip, but the popping and weird smelling exhaust seemed to actually get worse, so I’m tearing into the carb now.

You all were wrong and right. It was suspiciously hard to pull so I went ahead and set the valves, it got 100% easier to pull and started on the first rip, but the popping and weird smelling exhaust seemed to actually get worse, so I’m tearing into the carb now.

Weird smelling exhaust? (oh boy, here come the jokes...) but seriously, what does it smell like, does it smell like a burning carbon/oil smell or something else, how would you describe it?

Smells “gassy” like it’s running too rich or something. I got some parts coming this week plan to tear into the carb tomorrow or over the holiday to see if a cleaning will help.

How does the needle, seat & float look, is it seating alright? fuel might've mixed into the oil, check it just to make sure.

"It was hard to start"... like resistance? after you adjusted the valves, that fixed it right?
On average how many pulls does it take to start?

No gas in the oil, after adjusting the valves it takes just a couple of rips to start it and the, and the tension on the pull is a lot lot less...I took the carb apart and brushed all the passages. Broke the little butterfly rod, so waiting on another one of those to arrive. It basically fell apart when I took the carb off. Once I get all the back together we will see.

Aw man that's a bummer, sorry that happened ... well, at least we've ruled out something else. Although, you might want to start looking for another carb, just in case. Keep us posted when you get working on it again. Good Luck!

Aw man that's a bummer, sorry that happened ... well, at least we've ruled out something else. Although, you might want to start looking for another carb, just in case. Keep us posted when you get working on it again. Good Luck!

Reinstalled the carb and the popping got “worse” and now it smells even more like gas in the exhaust. I got a carb coming, it’s 35$...of throw away goodness. For some reason I’ve never had any success cleaning or kitting these, same drill with my pressure washer Briggs also EXI.

Some of these were really picky on oil for hydrology lifters. Not sure if yours is or not most of the ones I’ve seen where in cub cadets. Iv had a couple dropped off that that I thought were blown up but the lifters get stuck out if you run to thick of oil. Something to look into.

Some of these were really picky on oil for hydrology lifters. Not sure if yours is or not most of the ones I’ve seen where in cub cadets. Iv had a couple dropped off that that I thought were blown up but the lifters get stuck out if you run to thick of oil. Something to look into.
When I set the valves everything seemed like it was doing what it should, unless one or both is “floating” somehow. I changed the oil with 30WT. What’s the fix otherwise?

When I set the valves everything seemed like it was doing what it should, unless one or both is “floating” somehow. I changed the oil with 30WT. What’s the fix otherwise?
It only happens when someone dumps to heavy of oil in them. Usually drain the oil and put recommended oil in it and runs like poop for a couple minutes then straightens out.
Does your skip or anything? Could be coil or something breaking down also.

Subscribed
Have the same engine doing the same thing.
Carb was dirty/gunked from sitting when I got it.
Cleaned it all up. Runs great but you get the odd pop or miss or whatever,,.
Mines on a Scotts Mower.

its just the lean factory settings that have to pass epa, a briggs guy at a seminar told us to open the mainjet to cure it (drill it out) but he said he should,nt be telling us oficially
we have a lot of Italian mowers that randomly pop for the same reason in the uk too

Latest posts

Back