Briggs & Stratton XR950 carb problem.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonsereds 621

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a B&S xr950 on a splitter. It has always pinked when cold , right from new. It will now only run with a little choke. I have always had a dislike for briggs carbs, but have always found a China replacement to go straight on and do the job by far the simplest solution. I do not seem to be able to find one in this case however, so it has to come apart. It seems the briggs carb could be 209-90542, . The parts system seems to me to be unusable. The motor itself has engraved/ punched into it 130g32 0101f1.
If someone is familiar with these perhaps they would give me a few pointers as to where the problem might lie.
I have no problem with chainsaw carbs, old SU types, Stomburg etc but these I just can't fathom.
Any assistance will be most greatfully received. Thanks.

Could it be as simple as just using a micro drill bit to open the main jet a little more? That’s what I had to do to my HF engine to make it run right in the cold.

Could it be as simple as just using a micro drill bit to open the main jet a little more? That’s what I had to do to my HF engine to make it run right in the cold.
I think most probably you are quite right as to what the problem is....BUT... from my experience getting that main jet out to do anything to it is something else altogether. It is part of the emulsion tube, this has a cross slot in it for screwdriver or similar, but when it comes to it ,they just don't want to come out...or are they bonded in ? Last carb was totally destroyed in the effort to find out having been replaced by china com. It had a thread ok, but didn't want to give up having become homogenous with the alloy body. It could be atmosphere here, plenty of salt around and always damp.
I need another day's run from it before I fully investigate. It would be a simple matter IF I could find a replacement ! Perhaps you enlarged the jet "in situ" ?

Got it apart yesterday, carb was all spotless. removed main jet easily and there was "something" small stuck in passage. All I had that would shift it was a set of oxy acetylene blowpipe cleaning wires , which as it happened were perfect.
A good work through with appropriate wire and all is good. Now does not pink when cold and runs a treat.
This could be done with just bowl off.

My first splitter had a B&S motor that gave me carb issues and I rebuilt it once and it fixed the problem but only temporarily. It cost me more to put a kit in it the it to just replace the carb with a brand new one. Took me only 10 min to put the new one on and it ran fine for the next 10 years. I would see what a new carb cost and just replace it. The kit for mine was 17 dollars, the new carb was 25 dollars. I just bolted it on and it started right up and ran perfectly from then on. Next time I have a carb issue with anything I'm checking the kit price vs a new replacement price before I decide witch way to go.

My first splitter had a B&S motor that gave me carb issues and I rebuilt it once and it fixed the problem but only temporarily. It cost me more to put a kit in it the it to just replace the carb with a brand new one. Took me only 10 min to put the new one on and it ran fine for the next 10 years. I would see what a new carb cost and just replace it. The kit for mine was 17 dollars, the new carb was 25 dollars. I just bolted it on and it started right up and ran perfectly from then on. Next time I have a carb issue with anything I'm checking the kit price vs a new replacement price before I decide witch way to go.
Yes, I'm with you all the way on that, however I feel a little inadequate not being able to sort the job myself. In this case only, it turned out to be ultra simple. This now leaves me with two replacement carbs for it, one just arrived from China for £8.70p (identical and looks good) and a briggs & s replacement which took a lot of finding and cost a lot more ( I am fairly determined and have one other motor the same). Purely out of interest, I took the main jet out of the new China replacement and fitted to splitter (about 4mins ) and it runs fine also.....so I swapped it back, runs fine. I would guess the briggs original carb is from the same factory....make of this as you choose.

Yes, I'm with you all the way on that, however I feel a little inadequate not being able to sort the job myself. In this case only, it turned out to be ultra simple. This now leaves me with two replacement carbs for it, one just arrived from China for £8.70p (identical and looks good) and a briggs & s replacement which took a lot of finding and cost a lot more ( I am fairly determined and have one other motor the same). Purely out of interest, I took the main jet out of the new China replacement and fitted to splitter (about 4mins ) and it runs fine also.....so I swapped it back, runs fine. I would guess the briggs original carb is from the same factory....make of this as you choose.
In case others have similar problem, replacement carb for briggs XR 950 was to suit Honda GX 140, gx 160, gx 200- all the same, fuel tap on the side - cheap as chips .

Back