British columbia felling job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may know the video you're talking about. Daniel is a called an builds a few saws also.

BC falling job

"Every picture tells a story don't it"

Looks lik e a guy I have 'cut with'; in Kwatsie bay;Trevor (not the clearest of pics) but it looks like an older pic.... not wearing any Hi-vis..unless he's wearing hi-vis suspenders that aren't so hi-vis. Looks like a older saw...looking at the Dogs(spikes) 394?.
Foggy time of day, if its heli falling they are probley standing down due to visibility,
as they would not have heli support in the case of an injury. Hence the picture show.

Thinking the smaller, possibly Douglas fir spiked down the hill opposite the lay must be a recent blow down or felled to mitigate a hazard above before cutting his lower face.
The log appears not to be of proper specs for salvage on that job as he didn't cut the break 100% out,while he was there. It may have been good in its fuller length but one of the quickest ways to get killed doing that kind off falling is to not cut your blow down or saplings that you fall opposite your lay in close proximity to your stump. Obviously
your experienced with big wood on steep ground and are familiar why.(uprooting trees or snags above or knocking a boulder loose.)
Looks like nice Doug fir, possible east coast of Vancouver island. definitely a little dryer of a wet belt.
"Every picture tells a story don't it"

* @ Eccentric:No Mr WBF doesn't no what ignore means in relation to the site
but I'm pretty sure its not something that's going to get me killed, like in relation to my job.

I somehow think that the UK limb lopper didn't picture the job to be quite like that.
I would think if he read this thread he would think we most are all nuts over here.

IDK, to the OP! if you come here you could have a good business in residential work doing what your doing there,in BCs lower mainland and be home every night (get a stump grinder) your young and perhaps single and hasn't thought about that yet but its true you have the climbing experience to fall back on (no pun intended)
Also if you want a challenge, go do single stem on the coast and see if you got the nuts for that, Maybe 1 in 15 or 1 in 20 ?climbers could make that transition.I believe you finish school at 15yrs there so you may have four years experience already at 19.
You could probably challenge the Enforn fallers with your experience or do the Enform fallers entry ticket and that would be enough to get in to a gas and oil job but not fall over 6" (15cm) bit of a grey area there as you would be working with a certified faller ...BC or Enform. Or you could get familiar with
the full wrap handle bar and all falling procedures by reading your flip books then go out into the sticks somewhere and practice on snags, until your ready. You can certify in little wood on flat ground and its about 12 hundred to challenge,
BCs fallers is about $1400 to challenge if you made the requirements. Either way Enform out of Calgary purchased
the rights to adopt the BC fallers to put their name on it but it is not as widely excepted like on the coast or fighting fires.
it does however give you the right to challenge the BC fallers
if you feel you would need it, Not a lot of production hand falling in the province unless its coast areas as its all feller bunchers.On fires and in gas n oil it is all DTF, ('Danger Tree' falling or faller) There is lots of smaller tickets that go along with that industry also. Mandatory one day First aid, one day H2S Alive (hydrogen sulfide) Are the main two Now DTA (Danger tree assessor) is coming in to industry Which is $450 per module which there all three modules (harvesting & siviculture, wildland fires & parks and rec) good for 4years.
In the city it would be an advantage to have your ISA or for veg management careers like BC hydro.
You my make a 6 figure annual and maybe a lot more if you had a successful tree company in the city but, this dollars is only worth half the pound sterling.
Nothing I speak of is unachievable, if you want it.

6"? i heard this before but it seems silly
Lol..well it does, for one they would be practicing on a tree that
doesn't need falling cuts as its under 6" yet they have to carry a 3.5LB pined Axe with a17"handle and three wedges at all times because its part of the coarse. They can still practice on bigger cuts on stumps. It helps but there's more to falling than just three precise cut, the way you go about it is so much more.

yes sir it is. wedges ain't much good on 6" bushes. the county guy here said he was certified B for 16" sticks............i LMAO. no disrespect to any one.
the powers that be are just silly.

Roger that!
Yes the powers that be...that's funny as a BCer it would be fine to talk on the internet about weed or growing I'm sure but I don't think to many fallers here would talk about 'dirty little tricks'.? Its like there's more fear about keeping your livelihood with WCB of BC than weed, that's criminal for many.
Yes and the wedging on small Dia most guys up north province use 8" or have one 5" wedge for something small and haven't learnt to use proper wedges sticking them in sideways or are they comfortable doing there back cut first on small diameter against the lean. (Certified guys) I only use K&H
wedges 10" and 12" grass valley Medford ,Oregon.
Never let you down, they stick nice in frozen wood, and if you have one sit back on your bar on smaller Dia you can always get out with a 12" sideways in frozen wood.

Restrictions ? I didn't realize there was restrictions in some states, just thought it was just a break in period then you would be on your own.

Red Card = USFS Fire Certification, it wasn't the easiest to get that rating.

In my region, you worked with an old guy first, then maybe, you might be on your own. They didn't trust maverick or self taught fallers in the high value timber.

Ah, ok, interesting, until this thread I wasn't aware
of any lower 48 or UK standards or restrictions.
and what's North California's definition or an old guy..lol
yea the uk does have restrictions according to a member there..........kinda like what yer talkin about.

if i busted a high value stick the ol man would kick mah arse lol. he certified me not to bust trees.

yea the uk does have restrictions according to a member there..........kinda like what yer talkin about.

if i busted a high value stick the ol man would kick mah arse lol. he certified me not to bust trees.
Lmao well its hard to do on the coast here at times because the ground is not very conducive to the size of timber or is that the other way around:confused: Guess it doesn't matter how you slice it. In that regard. Sure you are going to want to avoid pounding
it over stumps where you can. Generally its not if it breaks it where it breaks. Like they said to me its not if you die its when you die..lol..nice guys eh.

Well I was glad to here there was other training standards in affect.
I know people feel different about that and I know just because they past I standard doesn't make them good by all means, in some jobs like gas & oil many with tickets are nothing but an invoice for the prime or sub contractor.

Latest posts

Back