British columbia felling job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yea the uk does have restrictions according to a member there..........kinda like what yer talkin about.

There is a qualification you have to do here for anything you can think of. Technically I need to go on a day long course to pull a trailer (just behind a car) on the road. The chainsaw tickets you have to have if you are earning a living with it.

CS30 maintain the chain saw
-
CS 31a fell small trees (conifer)

CS31b fell small trees (broadleaf)

CS 32a fell medium trees (conifer)

CS 32 b fell medium trees (broadleaf)

CS 33a fell large trees (conifer)

CS 33b fell large trees (broadleaf)

CS 34 clear individual windblown trees

CS 35 clear multiple windblown trees

CS 36 cross-cut and stack produce

CS 37 breakdown medium sized broad-leafed crowns

CS 38 climb trees and perform aerial rescue

CS 39 operate the chainsaw from a rope and harness

CS 40 carry out pruning operations

CS 41 carry out dismantling operations

For machinery use there are the same things but they are not so much of a legal requirement but a lot of landowners and employers want them. The worst part is that there are different tests for each type of forwarder you can imagine; 6 wheel, 8 wheel, tractor based, roof mounted crane, bunk mounted crane, trailer mounted crane. Buy a new machine and you can find yourself unqualified!

Yes, the same. If you're earning money with a saw, forest, garden, wherever, and the HSE (Health and Safety Executive) catch you without tickets and PPE, you're up in court.

Oh, I guess flashing my Finnish library card and telling it's an EU matching uber sensei magic qualification wouldn't bluff them out anymore...

Bad news, because in the future we possibly might go back to Surrey for some time, and I had this idea might as well carry my equipment there and do some tree work.

There is a qualification you have to do here for anything you can think of. Technically I need to go on a day long course to pull a trailer (just behind a car) on the road. The chainsaw tickets you have to have if you are earning a living with it.

CS30 maintain the chain saw
-
CS 31a fell small trees (conifer)

CS31b fell small trees (broadleaf)

CS 32a fell medium trees (conifer)

CS 32 b fell medium trees (broadleaf)

CS 33a fell large trees (conifer)

CS 33b fell large trees (broadleaf)

CS 34 clear individual windblown trees

CS 35 clear multiple windblown trees

CS 36 cross-cut and stack produce

CS 37 breakdown medium sized broad-leafed crowns

CS 38 climb trees and perform aerial rescue

CS 39 operate the chainsaw from a rope and harness

CS 40 carry out pruning operations

CS 41 carry out dismantling operations

For machinery use there are the same things but they are not so much of a legal requirement but a lot of landowners and employers want them. The worst part is that there are different tests for each type of forwarder you can imagine; 6 wheel, 8 wheel, tractor based, roof mounted crane, bunk mounted crane, trailer mounted crane. Buy a new machine and you can find yourself unqualified!
So I'm from there, and can live and work anywhere in Europe
but I'm not a climber so I would imagine work would be slim to none for me, not to mention, very humbling or maybe more annoying if I couldn't grandfather in with my Certification from here.
Here' a list of some of the crazy in house tickets I had to do to cut for Clean Harbors in Canada for gas & oil...25 in total..
There are industry standard tickets the main ones
which I have like petroleum safety training (PST) that covers most of the ones I will list...apart from the bizarre.. Lol

Standard would be:
I-2days with transportation endorsement ; first aid -expires 2yrs
Transportation of Dangerous goods (TGD)
1 day H2S alive-expires -3yrs
PST
WHIMIS (workplace hazardous materials information system)
UTV training cource
Snowmobile course
Fallers or fallers entry may be excepted on some jobs.
Also Danger Tree Assessers ticket (DTA) expired 4 yrs.
Three different moduals, 2days each
S-100 fire suppression(annual refresher)
Bear awearness
Although these tickets were obtained from excepted industry
training facilities,companies still want you to do there's lesser
in house tickets that are only good for that company so the clients won't except them. we could work for many companies a year.

In house tickets ;most all mentioned above except DTA
Many were covered in the PST such as;
-cargo securement, winching &vechicle recovery
-off HWY defensive driving.
-UTV awearness- fire& safety - drug& alcohol awareness
-steping , lifting &handling - PPE awareness -lockout, tag out
-H2S awareness -TDG - WHiMIS - bear awearness
Then they had tests:
-Hearing consevation -audiometric testing
-pre-access drug -pre access alcohol test
-fallers competency ....for every job in G&O
more in house with Clean Harbous.....
-Large ungulates- conivores- Bloodborne pathogens
-noxious plants,insects,spiders,scorpions & snakes
-wild life Zoonoses? Just had to Google that one...but I got a ticket for it. (Means disease spread between Humans and
animals) I wasn't planning on sexing any of them but if I do I will be sure to use a condom.

:laugh:

Bad news, because in the future we possibly might go back to Surrey for some time, and I had this idea might as well carry my equipment there and do some tree work.

Oh what part of Surrey? We're on the Kent/Surrey border. Have you done any forestry work here?

Oh what part of Surrey? We're on the Kent/Surrey border. Have you done any forestry work here?

My wife was involved in a project, which took her to spend most of last spring in the UK. We found a flat not far from the big one airport - it might have been Greater London too, I'm not sure. Now she has applied for continuation. This year I mostly did nothing there, which was great. But if there will be a next time, I'd rather do some work.

No, I haven't done tree/forestry work in the UK. I did carpentry as a lad in the 90's up North. At the time there was some discussion about my chainsaw ticket, but it wasn't that serious at all.

Back