Brits talkin about Brit stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROLLACOSTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hi guys just thought i would start this tread up ..mainly for Brit related issues..obviously anyone is welcome to join in, from which ever side of the pond they are on

overhere we have differant health and safety regs than you guys in the states as well as differant laws regarding our tree's ie tree preservation orders, working in consevation areas etc etc

we speak the same language as our 'mates from the states ' but our working day is often very differant...:)

i shall kick the thread off ..today after waiting for 2 months to get the go ahead to start a job section felling two horse chestnuts ,it all nearly goes all very very wrong now customer told me he had put in an application for the work and would show me the letter of consent when we turned up to do the work..well todays arrived i'm at the customers door and i ask can i see the letter ..anyway long story short ,client never got permission or even applied for permission

he told me they thought they could just get away with it ,anyway we leave the job site very unhappy..but it could have been worse as maximum fine for felling these 2 trees without consent could have been £20,000 each..the stupid thing is the tree's have basal rot and would have been given the thumbs up for felling anyway:angry:

you should have dealt with tree officer yourself ,explained the situ ,arranged site visit ,send i paper work and chill for 8 weeks,or the earliest planning meeting,then added your time to the total cost ,i state on quotations that price includes consultation with tree officer etc,,, most tree officers are just failed wanna be climbers with a mean streak,smile and be friendly ,gets you a long way

i nearly always act as the agent for TPO work ,but this time the client had told me he had already sent the application form off and had been given verbal permission..he obviously lied

Teressa how often do you work as the agent and still not get the job?? ..i charge to act as the agent nominal fee reimburst when i send the bill / finnish the job[ no way im doing a ton of consultancy for free]...theres no way you will get a tree officer to come on site down here and liase with you about residential tree work.:mad:

fairly easy if the tree is a problem ,ie butt rot they cake it ,good point tho ,bout the consultancy and not winning the job,doesnt happen here often ,good local standing

Rollacosta,great idea for this thread,im just a climber so dont have any stuff like this to sort out myself.When i was a team leader seeking permission to carry out tree works on behalf of the electric compaies i did come across some very difficult people ,be it landowners or council tree officers but i managed to get the job done.

ROSS as this thread progreses you will /should have plenty of input ,no such thing as just a climber ;)

ok

ross im a formal qualification wanting to be a climber... lets trade.

jamie

qualifications

eh B/Technol (hons) countryside management, RFS cert Arb (good un i feel) and my cs 30 / 31 and 38,

and the lot from school.

got a job as a trainee climber, been there a year and a half, for most of that time i have been gettting little but im now advancing.....having fun while i do it.

jamie

we've been shafted quite a few times,do all the donkey work,get permission to carry out works,lose jobs to tree tick scum:angry:

Originally posted by ROLLACOSTA
we speak the same language as our 'mates from the states '
Same language! Are you kidding me? Who would say "Mates from the States" over here? :D Pardon the interruption....

Nickrosis...do you mind stepping aside and showing me you'r visa before you come on this thread :D

ok boys to keep this thread a bit of a do..lets all revert to speaking 17th century english..or cockney rhyming slang

Back