Brits talkin about Brit stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,

A quick question about chainsaw pants .As far as I'm aware if you use a chainsaw in a tree you MUST use type c pants. Now looking at this guideline from the HSE www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg317.pdf
it would seem that it is only "recommended" that you use type c (all round protection) if your an arb or an occasional user.
I'm hoping that some1 here can elaborate on this a bit and give a definate yes or no to needing type c while climbing.
The only reason im asking is that its time to buy some new kit, harness rope and some chainsaw pants and the Stihl hiflex i have atm are definately pants!:D so if i can get away with something like the sip freedom or stretch air type A then i will.
Anyhow any info at all would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Alaniho, nice to see another from "Norn Iron", I live just up the road from you in Richhill.
Don't know any Dolmar/Mikita dealers about here but I think Denis Wilson of Glenavy is the main Makita importer for Northern Ireland so that may be a good place to start.

Welsh

Another Brit here Welsh born living in flat lincolnshire
but moving soon to become an ex pat :greenchainsaw: (sick of the rain)

Hi Alaniho, nice to see another from "Norn Iron", I live just up the road from you in Richhill.
Don't know any Dolmar/Mikita dealers about here but I think Denis Wilson of Glenavy is the main Makita importer for Northern Ireland so that may be a good place to start.

hiya mate, i haven't been online for a while, so thanks for the info. They are nice saws, the Germans i know really like their Dolmars, but i suppose my biggest issue is service which is a bit of an unknown here for Makita petrol stuff.

I mostly stick with Stihl and buy parts through Stafford Greenaways out Anaghmore/Dungannon direction.
I hear Makitas/Dolmars can be tempremental when it comes to the ignition coils in their stone cutters, I don't know if their chainsaws suffer the same.

Another Brit here Welsh born living in flat lincolnshire
but moving soon to become an ex pat :greenchainsaw: (sick of the rain)

where you moving too mate? my wifes an Australian citizen, i'm thinking about heading there, i've had a gut full of this country........
:givebeer:

where you moving too mate? my wifes an Australian citizen, i'm thinking about heading there, i've had a gut full of this country........

I left when I was 4, not on my own of course. Looking back, I am so fortunate to live here, in Canader. Rolla, when I see what has happened to England it makes me wonder. And feel sorry for many of you people.

awright lads. if anybody can point me in the direction of a job in kilmarnock, scotland, it would be much appreciated. working in sweden at the mo, but trying to sort out a bit of work for when i get back to bonny blighty. please help! :p

Tam, I haven't got any work for you, and I'm not in Scotland...but I was curious as to what work you're doing in Sweden. Mate has just bought a house over there - his wife is Swedish and it's 15 minutes from her parents) and they are considering moving over. He's asked if we (family and I) would be interested in going too, with the work. There's a place for sale next to the one he bought and I'm very tempted, but there'd have to be work. I know there's issues about really REALLY high tax rates for self-employed and all that, and of course language issues, but I can deal with that.

Pete

Tam, I haven't got any work for you, and I'm not in Scotland...but I was curious as to what work you're doing in Sweden. Mate has just bought a house over there - his wife is Swedish and it's 15 minutes from her parents) and they are considering moving over. He's asked if we (family and I) would be interested in going too, with the work. There's a place for sale next to the one he bought and I'm very tempted, but there'd have to be work. I know there's issues about really REALLY high tax rates for self-employed and all that, and of course language issues, but I can deal with that.

Pete

sweden is a lovely country. i lived in stockholm for the last year. just arrived back in the uk yesterday. work for tree surgeons is definitely available, because there are very few guys who do the job we do. i mean people are always taking photos and videos of us at work!
i don't know where you're thinking of going to, but there's a couple of large companies, and a few very small businesses, in stockholm and gothenburg. but in the sticks, people don't seem to have so much demand for climbers. it's more straight-felling, you know. but yeah, anyway, i would say that if you're looking to start up in sweden, you'd have tonnes of work. the competition if nothing like the uk.
i was doing maybe 60% pruning, 40% felling. they like you to go very very very fine on the deadwood. the swedes are quite keen on reductions, too.
Self-employed guys, who are paying SWEDISH tax, will pay around 70% to the government. but the self-employed boys i know still make a good living.
and EVERYBODY speaks perfect english. apart from like 2 percent of the population! some elderly people and other foreigners.
ok, i got to do this: tradmastarna, the biggest company in stockholm, are utter plonkers! the boss is a flipping tube... there, that's my moan over.
hope that you can untangle any useful information from this!

we've been shafted quite a few times,do all the donkey work,get permission to carry out works,lose jobs to tree tick scum:angry:

Hi blue same here do all the forms pay for photos time in front of a computer for a potential customer then some one else gets job because they are £20 cheaper pisses you off.
icharge £99 for tpo applications i think this is fair how about you? if customers happy to pay it or they can do it themselves and then invite tenders

oh and where are you in SE im near Brighton

Any of you Brits work the big storm of '87? The one that took out 60% of Kew Gardens and made 5 Oak Hill into 2 Oak Hill...

Back