broken rear handle on my stihl 064 AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerhuntertyler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well, cutting wood today dint go very well. I was cutting a blow over red oak, missjudged it, pinched the bar, the tree rolled, and landed on my saw. after cutting it out with my back up saw, i found it had a broken rear handle (broke right in the throatle trigger area) so, searching google led me to this site. I joined, and did i quick search, but dint find the answer to my question. So, what do I do? I looked for a replacement rear handle/ tank asembly on ebay, but dint find any for the 064. I know some of the parts are interchangeable between the 064, and the 066, so I was wondering if an 066 rear handle/tank would fit on my saw? i havent had the tank/handle off one of these saws before, either. how involved is it? It may be worth noteing that i bought the saw with a scored piston and cylinder for cheap ($40) and rebuilt it, so i have experiance with these saws, and am comfortable working on them, just havent ever had the bottom end apart. thanks in advance for any help,
Tyler.

i'll buy the new tank if it comes down to it, but id prefer to buy used, if the 066 tank works. so if the 064 airbox parts wont fit, do i just need to buy 066 airbox parts, and everything else will work?

i'll buy the new tank if it comes down to it, but id prefer to buy used, if the 066 tank works. so if the 064 airbox parts wont fit, do i just need to buy 066 airbox parts, and everything else will work?

I did run a 064 with a 066 tank/handle on it, it needed the airbox, filter mount, filter and filter cover from the 066. When it is all together the airfilter cover will be sticking out the left rear side about 3/4" past the 064`s top cover. You will need the master control switch from the 066 as well. The carb will fit either airbox and the linkage is the same.

Tyler, My uncle did the same thing to his 044. Do what he did, use it as an excuse to my a new 441 and then fix your old saw. He now has a 044 and 441. :msp_wink:

All of the flat top saws share the same basic tank/carb box/filter mount and cover, with a few minor differences like the old intake boot, intellacarb holes, tank vents and see thru tank sides.

The late model "bubble top" saws had the wider tank and different carb box.

Any older flat top 066 tank will work just fine using ur 064 carb box and filter setup...

Or just sell it to me... :)

does anybody have a diagram of the handle/trigger controls? I am trying to determine if im missing any peices. I have the black plastic trigger, the black plastic saftey trigger (the lever on the top that must be depressed in order to pull the trigger) and the single linkage extending from the carb. is there anything missing? or is that all there is to it? i tried searching google, but came up empty handed..

You are missing a spring. It goes onto the trigger and has a tail that goes out to the safety plunger. There is a metal axle that goes through the trigger also but that is probably there. There is a rubber boot on the throttle linkage as well.

does anybody have a diagram of the handle/trigger controls? I am trying to determine if im missing any peices. I have the black plastic trigger, the black plastic saftey trigger (the lever on the top that must be depressed in order to pull the trigger) and the single linkage extending from the carb. is there anything missing? or is that all there is to it? i tried searching google, but came up empty handed..

There is a small support/ lock you have not mentioned that fits on the right hand end of the switch axle.

Any reason the ground contact should jam the lever from moving up to stop?

The pivoting metal contact on mine, the one with a crimp to coil on far end that joins to control lever for grounding, it jams the lever from going up to "stop"

Suggestions anyone?

Cheers

Back