Brush cutter for making trails

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 30 year old echo srm straitshaft trimmer cable drive used the echo brush blade and guard kit. Did some pretty good damage to 3" and under trees. Bigger trees will take a few attempts. But wow that blade sings when you wind it up to make a cut anything under 1" it was like I was trimming grass.

Dr brushmower has been my go to. Have cleared acres of brush and tall grass and use it to cut my clover in food plots. It also has attachments like finish mower and snowblower you can buy. I have 2nd gen one and hasn't let me down once. Has a kawasaki motor on it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211110-145856_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20211110-145856_Google.jpg
    541 KB · Views: 7
I've got an FS130R and put a Limit Stop on it when I use Stihl chisel blades. To date it has served me well for cutting woody brush and saplings. When I have another big job I'm going to try a carbide blade.... this as while sharpening the chisel blade is not difficult it does take time away from cutting to either swap out or sharpen the blade in the field. I also have a large deflector that I use with a Stihl Brush Knife that works great for thorn canes, heavy grass, grape vines, etc. I've got Stihl pro chain saws and an HT131 pole pruner for bigger stuff... That said, when I had 1.7 miles of trail upon which I needed to mow the shoulders back 4' on each side, I rented a Billy Goat Brush Mower. It has hydrostatic drive and nothing I mowed stopped it.

P.S. From previous discussions on this web site it became abundantly clear that different regions of the country present different brush challenges. What works great for me may not do so for you!

Back