Bucket truck issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason75

Reaction score
My tree company has a 2005 Kenworth T 300 with a Altec 55 foot boom non-over centering. It was operating as intended the guys blew a out rigger hose I replaced the hose replenished the hydraulic fluid. The out riggers function normal as they go up and down quickly and raise they also have enough pressure to lift the wheels off the ground. The issue I’m having that is stumping me is when you get in the bucket to operate when you pull up on the handle to raise the top boom at access low it wants to go it will begin to flex but will not move same is true for the lower boom the tool circuit the winch the gym all appear to work they just work extremely slow. Looking For advice on where to start trying to troubleshoot the problem I have purged the system as outlined in the owners manual with no success. Thank you for any help

I think the main problem is drivers getting too used to just following what their navigation tells them to do, not realizing or forgetting that they are for cars only. I learned long ago that you can't use Google Maps with a truck around Boston.

Even when I pick a route without a low bridge, Google will think it knows better than me and switch the navigation to the shorter route with the low bridge without alerting me.

Fortunately I know my way around pretty well by now. And when driving in places I don't know that well, I'm always hyper-aware to look for the posted height of any suspect bridge. It's not really that hard if driving a truck is your job, which certainly looks like the situation here.

Let's get back on track , hell with the GPS and low bridges . Slow responding hydraulics relates to either low pressure or air entrainment . If you have purged the air out of the system from the high side or point in the system , then lower than design pressure could be the secondary cause . Lower pressure can become an issue if oil level is down or pump is worn . Ensure system fluid levels are up and filter is clean . Last but not least a faulty relief valve can bypass fluid back to the fluid reservoir which will cause fluid overheating and lower than required operating pressure and sluggish performance !

Alright, back on track. I was thinking a safety latch, that prevents inadvertent lift, may have the boom locked in place. Also, if the remote controls operate properly, then the bucket controls are sticking/sluggish/leaking and require service.
If this all occured after the break, then air or a safety check might be the issue.

Latest posts

Back