Buckin Billy Ray

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell them to check out August Hunicke.
August has some incredible vids as well buckin knows his stuff hands down ive seen him move tree's like most sane people wouldn't even think about doing. Hes a faller and an old school climber that i know can hang with the best. He's a pro you can't even say otherwise.

Tell them to check out August Hunicke.

My two buddies have climbed with August- my one buddy is a judge at the regional climbing competitions in Portland, OR and Seattle, WA. August has placed in the past at both.

I met him years ago at the Portland climbing expo- he's one of the sharpest tree guys I've ever chatted with.

I started watching his Youtube videos just a couple of months ago. Seems like a good guy who loves his work.......and his yellow saws.

Watching his videos he taught me how to file free hand with no guide. It took a very long time and when I got confused about something I would keep going back to the video. Now I got it and free hand all my chains except the milling ones.

Funny thing is that I can keep a better and more consistent angle free handing than I ever could with a file guide!!! Go figure

Watching his videos he taught me how to file free hand with no guide. It took a very long time and when I got confused about something I would keep going back to the video. Now I got it and free hand all my chains except the milling ones.

Funny thing is that I can keep a better and more consistent angle free handing than I ever could with a file guide!!! Go figure

Me too. Also, he taught me about the rakers and the cutters, buckin the conventional wisdom HERE, that all the cutters had to be the same size. Buckin correctly points out that the cutters can be of different sizes, as long as the raker that proceeds it is of the proper depth. I got lots of push back when I started to repeat that HERE, but as of recently I see the people HERE are starting to understand that concept.

Yes yes I have seen that transition Montana resident. But I will say, again, that the same cutter length absolutely matters for finish on a milling chain. This is the only time that I am very careful, you will get ripples if you do not keep them the same length. Some of the ripples can be as high as 1/4” which is a TON of hand planing or even machine planing when your slab is 10’X12”.

I was sharping my 20” full house chain two nights ago free hand, this was the first time I did not use a jig on this particular chain. Low and behold many cutters had angles that were lower than the recommended 30-35 degrees as indicated on the line of the top plate. Free handing I straightened them all out making a chain with cutters that all have a 30 degree angle which will cut crosscut faster :)

Yes yes I have seen that transition Montana resident. But I will say, again, that the same cutter length absolutely matters for finish on a milling chain. This is the only time that I am very careful, you will get ripples if you do not keep them the same length. Some of the ripples can be as high as 1/4” which is a TON of hand planing or even machine planing when your slab is 10’X12”.

I was sharping my 20” full house chain two nights ago free hand, this was the first time I did not use a jig on this particular chain. Low and behold many cutters had angles that were lower than the recommended 30-35 degrees as indicated on the line of the top plate. Free handing I straightened them all out making a chain with cutters that all have a 30 degree angle which will cut crosscut faster :)
I haven't run into that yet, I only seem to see ripples the more my chain dulls, what are your angles and what size chain are you using?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I haven't run into that yet, I only seem to see ripples the more my chain dulls, what are your angles and what size chain are you using?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
I am doing 5 degree top plate with a 0 degree down angle. Are you saying that cutter length does not affect rippling but it is something else?

I am doing 5 degree top plate with a 0 degree down angle. Are you saying that cutter length does not affect rippling but it is something else?
If the depth gauges are properly set the chain will cut, but it does affect how the chain cuts. Tooth width will vary from tooth to tooth, this effect how the kerf forms and how the chain moves side to side. It works, but not as efficiently, and the finish will look rough, this is one reason why race chains are stoned.[emoji111]

Back