Buckin Billy Ray

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I remember those videos. I can't believe anyone would take that as him promoting a product. LOL people are so touchy feely now a days.
That they are, because of his field testing and help with the design Weaver is actually giving him a small kick back for anyone that uses his links to buy Weaver products, but other than that he doesn't have any actual sponsors that pay him to promote their products.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Victor is not family. Hes another young tree man who runs his own tree company. He doesnt have his Faller certificate (that I know of) so he relies on Billy to do falling for him. The other young man you might have seen is Nick Hanna maybe? He was on a few times, did some milling with him but is not family and just an acquaintance as far as I know. His son Hogan did start a tree business and is working with one of his friends who also works as a groundie with another local company. Tyson I believe is his name. He was with him on a job that they had to take a boat ride to get on the island. That was Hogans first tree job under his new company name.

We're Victor and Nick at BS this year? I chatted with them a bit last year, but haven't heard much from them lately.[emoji111]

That they are, because of his field testing and help with the design Weaver is actually giving him a small kick back for anyone that uses his links to buy Weaver products, but other than that he doesn't have any actual sponsors that pay him to promote their products.

And its a free market, good on him if he gets a few extra bucks here and there.

And its a free market, good on him if he gets a few extra bucks here and there.
Absolutely, that drama has nothing to do with him, and he told me the guy from Weaver who reached out to him for help with the design of the belt has nothing to do with what's going on in all that drama going on higher up.

Absolutely, that drama has nothing to do with him, and he told me the guy from Weaver who reached out to him for help with the design of the belt has nothing to do with what's going on in all that drama going on higher up.

And good on him and for not paying any attention to it, most of that stuff stems from jealousy anyway.

Billy is the reason why there's yellow saws all through my shed. Just stumbled across him 1 day I think it was the big maple he was cutting with a 10-10 and that was it the hunt for yellow began and by jingos it doesn't stop lol.

I've cut a bunch of trees now small big and huge and thanks to him and his videos I can put them where I need too or understand when I can't or shouldn't touch a tree.

Axes.. an axe was axe to me before buckin there was big axes small axes and splitting axes and now I have a whole new appreciation for a nice axe and to be fair any wooden handle tool. I went an found a nice little HB head and got a handle from hultifors and restored it thanks to his vids it's a ummm a "dandy" in my eyes lol and got a wicked cut on my finger to show for it hahaha

His positivity is great. He a real man who works for his family looks after the elderly and who ever he can. Contributes to society the way we all should he teaches us to be good decent humans and we need more of that is this horrible little facebooky mess of a world we're heading to

Kensie I been watching you a bit man love those history videos you did. I have a poulan question for you but here is probably not the place lol

Forgot to mention sharpening I have never used any type of guide other than the husky depth gauge. That man WILL teach you if you take the time to understand the cutter and take each cutter separately and keep at it and at and at it. 1 tank sharpen 1 tank sharpen and repeat. Every time you use it even for 1 quarter tank of cookies to try your last filling effort and do that for a month or two or 12 and bingo it just clicks. You will find your own ways that he hasn't shown you but that's ok that's what its about.

A while back on the building site I used the little builders top handle makita and was horrified at its chain and went and grabbed there file. After 1 tooth with the stupid guide I pulled it off and had at it. The way I see it and "feel" it you cannot steer the file around the tooth to shape it the way it needs (each tooth is different) with a guide. Thanks to Billy I never used 1 at the start of my saw journey and never picked up the bad habits that form when using a guide.

It's not so much that each tooth is different as such but needs to be treated that way so you shape the tooth to what it needs to look like and that constant study of the tooth gets ya eye in reeeeel good. Then after a while you feel what it looks like with out looking and sure enough take a peek and it looks just like you felt with the file.

All stuff I picked up from buckin. I have a heap of yarns with old guys who have ran saws for years and saw mechanics n bla bla bla (never a logger or tree guy though) and none seemed to sink that stuff in like Billy I don't like his "boat" idea though I got what he was trying to get but I get that just with the right pressure.

Went cutting with a guy in his 60s who is a clever guy cut all his life and he was teasing me for months beforehand about my Mac's well boy did he get a surprise from my pm700 lol a good chain a good tune and his stihl looked silly lol.

Thanks Billy you set my life on a different course hugely

Sorry for the long novel's guys

Billy is the reason why there's yellow saws all through my shed. Just stumbled across him 1 day I think it was the big maple he was cutting with a 10-10 and that was it the hunt for yellow began and by jingos it doesn't stop lol.

I've cut a bunch of trees now small big and huge and thanks to him and his videos I can put them where I need too or understand when I can't or shouldn't touch a tree.

Axes.. an axe was axe to me before buckin there was big axes small axes and splitting axes and now I have a whole new appreciation for a nice axe and to be fair any wooden handle tool. I went an found a nice little HB head and got a handle from hultifors and restored it thanks to his vids it's a ummm a "dandy" in my eyes lol and got a wicked cut on my finger to show for it hahaha

His positivity is great. He a real man who works for his family looks after the elderly and who ever he can. Contributes to society the way we all should he teaches us to be good decent humans and we need more of that is this horrible little facebooky mess of a world we're heading to

Kensie I been watching you a bit man love those history videos you did. I have a poulan question for you but here is probably not the place lol
Shoot me a message or ask it over in the vintage chainsaw lounge thread I started years ago, if I can't answer it someone else can.

How big of an event is BuckinStock?

There was a series of YouTube videos showing the event. It is a rather small gathering of chainsaw users. Not quite WoodStock (or even close), but good information and about what you can see in his videos. I'd go if it was within my driving distance (<100 miles). I'd like to have him critic my hand filing, giving me tips on how I am doing.

I have been watching some of his videos lately. And he seems like a guy I would love to hang out with. His positivity and outlook on life reminds me of Bob Ross. I could only wish to be as happy at the things I do as he is.
Having a job that one loves, where he can pick and choose his work is definitely a great place to be at in one's life.

There was a series of YouTube videos showing the event. It is a rather small gathering of chainsaw users. Not quite WoodStock (or even close), but good information and about what you can see in his videos. I'd go if it was within my driving distance (<100 miles). I'd like to have him critic my hand filing, giving me tips on how I am doing.
Do you know if he plans to do it in Indiana ever year? That is my birthday weekend and about 14 hour drive. Might be a cool trip.

I was thinking about going to buckinstock next year.

I've been watching Billy ever since I got interested in doing tree work for more than just putting up wood for the winter. Been sub'd for a long time now. Really enjoy his outlook on life and his relationship with his son and his son's journey in tree work. I think it's great. Wholesome stuff.

Back