Buckin Billy Ray

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was watching one of his videos and my wife heard his funky Canadian accent and asked me if it was some kind of joke. (People often mock the Minnesotan accent and it sounds Canadian).

His axe "sales" are actually old axe heads that he found at garage sales and rehung, correct?

He seems like a good guy with a really kooky sense of humor.

That's a nice one, Joe. Looks like you know how to use it too (by the looks of the handle). I've bopped in and out of today's live feed already. May check back in a little later if it's still rolling. Firewood needs brought in first.

And I see you're pretty active over there these days, Marshy. I've been subbed for a little over a year...., 'bout 8000 subs ago. Pretty amazing growth of the channel since.
Hope the rapid success doesn't distort the charm and 'genuine' aspect of the Buckin' experience though. The original intimacy and personal feel of the whole dynamic is giving way to what seems to be more of a free-form flow that also brings with it some of the things that actually detract from the very reasons for the channel's success. Will be interesting to see the continued evolution..., and if it becomes more and more mercenary as a means to an end of something I don't believe Billy Ray ever thought he'd have any part of.

Me, I just lay low and try to stay outta the way while enjoying what I can when I can. Chimed in a time or two but felt pretty awkward considering I'm old enough to remember when the screen was black, the cursor was green, and Pong was the video game. :laugh:

That's a nice one, Joe. Looks like you know how to use it too (by the looks of the handle). I've bopped in and out of today's live feed already. May check back in a little later if it's still rolling. Firewood needs brought in first.

And I see you're pretty active over there these days, Marshy. I've been subbed for a little over a year...., 'bout 8000 subs ago. Pretty amazing growth of the channel since.
Hope the rapid success doesn't distort the charm and 'genuine' aspect of the Buckin' experience though. The original intimacy and personal feel of the whole dynamic is giving way to what seems to be more of a free-form flow that also brings with it some of the things that actually detract from the very reasons for the channel's success. Will be interesting to see the continued evolution..., and if it becomes more and more mercenary as a means to an end of something I don't believe Billy Ray ever thought he'd have any part of.

Me, I just lay low and try to stay outta the way while enjoying what I can when I can. Chimed in a time or two but felt pretty awkward considering I'm old enough to remember when the screen was black, the cursor was green, and Pong was the video game. :laugh:
Yea i split EVERYTHING by hand so ive swong and axe ALOT. I use it to split and bang wedges. Its a solid axe worth the wait and every penny. From a good guy... GET THE GULLET!

That's how I came across BBR...., Googling how to tighten up my free hand filing. First vid I saw of his was the one where he's touching up a chain on the tailgate explaining 'the boat', then the other early one where he really went off on all the idiotic vids floating around on the subject of hand filing. I was sold right then and there. Loved the guy's attitude and no B.S. enthusiasm. When I found out he was also into the Macs, that pretty much put him over the top for me. The enthusiasm and positivity is certainly contagious, not to mention his mad game with slingin' a saw and his artistry with the axes. My sharpening was pretty good but got way better after watching a few more of his sharpening vids. Just gave me more confidence after completely blowing away all the silly myths. Was already using the Husky raker gauge he uses so was halfway there!

Took a minute to go find the vids. Priceless.

I haven't had the time to follow him lately. He's a good guy and funny as heck to listen to.
Can't remember if I've posted this before but I was listening to him one time and my wife asked if it was a spoof because his west coast Canadian accent is so thick. I said no they just sound like that out there. (And people think we talk funny being from MN)

Can't remember if I've posted this before but I was listening to him one time and my wife asked if it was a spoof because his west coast Canadian accent is so thick. I said no they just sound like that out there. (And people think we talk funny being from MN)
Eh buddy, wo you talkin' about eh?
I do not recall where but I heard that one too.
I went over it a few times and It glitched out the second two times. He has definitely been on the island most of is adult life but I would put money on it that he's from the Maritime's. Prince Edward Island (PEI), New Brunswick, Cape Brenton Islands or Nova Scotia?
He definitely has some Vancouver Island lingo going on too.
It can be very fast and you skip half the words. I didn't realize until I got a smart phone and started writing, which I hadn't done since school (about 28 yrs. I would write whole paragraphs and had to edit it out because I had no idea what I just wrote. Lol. I still have the tendency to write how I speak and constantly have to add 2,3 & four letters words.
French Canadians have said they had a hard time with understanding 'some people' from the island.

Back