Bucking table mostly done

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSW, yup and it's a darn shame it's sitting on my fence line doing nothing. I gotta quit "improving" things and just work with what I build. Whole bunch of roller conveyors at the auction on Thursday, I'll likely add some more to my fence line. I'm hoping there is another bandsaw mill there this year, I'm not letting another one go past. I wanna mill some lumber.

Production line started this evening.

And an unintended byproduct is everything is at the right height that I don't have to lift a round or log. Roll them off the deck onto the table and from the table they slide right onto the table of the SS.

c189729446ef293216129404f3a7cf96.jpg

a8091ca336069b18bc3b47ba8ee25d2d.jpg

f6eb8105de6b1e1c89bab2109ef98c42.jpg

Sent from a field

Yes they do... Which is OK. This will eventually be placed into a wood chipped area designated specifically for processing firewood. It just needs to dry out.....

Oh... My wife was looking at the BIP I was going to use as the upright stops... She asked why I don't lay them across the cutting deck to elevate the logs so as to limit saw contact.... I had thought about doing something similar with some 2x material leaving a 4" or so gap in the cut zone. I may go ahead and give that a shot. I think it would work and would give me 1.5" between the bottom of the log and the timbers on the deck.

Looks good Casey, nice when things work out. If I ever get done all these "little" jobs that she wants done around home I might actually get some time to fabricate again. I never bought any conveyors at the sale but they did have some nice ones that would have worked good for a setup like yours. Even rollers work but a conveyor would be nice to get the splits up and out of the way.

To be honest, I like splitting into a tote. It breaks up the monotony of the process. My son is becoming trustworthy enough that I can also get a second tote going so that he and his sister can take a full one and get it stacked.

Casey:
There's no hope for you now.
You know that don't you?
Don't say anything... Just bob your head up and down, like a nod.
The splitter. The trailer. The tractor. The cutting table...
It just doesn't stop without intervention, of some sort.
Your kids may be at risk as well. Kind of like, second hand smoke...

Edit: Maybe it's this web site...

Production line started this evening.

And an unintended byproduct is everything is at the right height that I don't have to lift a round or log. Roll them off the deck onto the table and from the table they slide right onto the table of the SS.

c189729446ef293216129404f3a7cf96.jpg

a8091ca336069b18bc3b47ba8ee25d2d.jpg

f6eb8105de6b1e1c89bab2109ef98c42.jpg

Sent from a field
Are you floating that load of logs across that lake on a pontoon boat? Joe.

They do float on their own... most of the time.
I have heard of guys salvaging premium logs from the bottom of Lake Superior on the west end. The state (don't remember which one) was getting a huge salvage tax on the recovered old growth logs, upward of 40% of resale.

I had a twenty foot long mud hole where ai turn off the drive to the wood lot. Had it dug out Friday, backfilled with sand and topped crushed concrete. Raised it a foot and a half. We are having a thunderstorm move through right now. We'll see what it looks like in the morning. For now, it is coming down hard, steady, and a bit sideways. Full moon or not.

Howd it hold up? Probably going to be mushy till the concrete set up unless you put some bigger material down. We normally lay a foot of 1-3 and then topdress with 3/4 minus.

Sent from a field

IMG_3863.jpg IMG_3701.jpg
Above: low tide...IMG_4553.jpg
I think the mud hole is fixed. Tired of driving through it. Driving around just made it bigger, and still tracked chunks of mud up the drive and in the garage from the quad and splitter. Now the water stands at the end of the log pile for a bit, but that's fine. Before it would take two to three weeks to dry out, and that's if it didn't rain again.
He dug the slop out down to sand, sand backfill so it should be good. If it was clay then stone would certainly be a better way to go. The top soil was keeping it from draining through to the sand. Further north towards the wood lot there was a deep layer of chips in the drive from when I cleared the lot and chipped the small tops. That was holding surface water too and beginning to pump around the log deck. Skimmed it off and hauled it out. Just makes for a mess, so it is gone, done deal.

Bucking tables:IMG_4591.jpgIMG_4589.jpg IMG_4592.jpg8:30 last night. Yesterday evening was the first run this Spring. Eliminated the staging table. Cut two logs, one on each table. Shut the saw off and split. Splitter and conveyor run full time until drum is full, 1/4 cord. So far it is pretty smooth, and I like it. Eliminated lifting rounds one time, from cut table to staging table. Trade off is a little more money for gas. Tongue of splitter is removed and slipped into forklift tube so I don't trip over it. Four wheel splitter: Throw all the saw stuff and tools in blue tub and set on splitter table with chainsaw, and tow it to the house. Long deck or short deck is a trade off. Piling logs get tangled and can be dangerous. The longer deck is fine for most stuff. If it's an odd log or big, it takes a peavy to roll it. Not hard, just slow either way.

Delivery this morning to do in a bit.

Anxious to see how the changes effect doing a larger amount, and how tired I am at the end of the day. I think eliminating the staging table is going to make a huge difference as it cuts lifting in half. Doing a cord of wood now means lifting 5,800 pounds. Before it was twice that. I need to clean up a pile of logs so I have room for two more truck loads side by side.IMG_4590.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4590.jpg
    IMG_4590.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
Looks good. Not having to physically pick up rounds made a huge difference in productivity here. Even better was not getting so worn out for a given amount of wood.

Sent from a field

Back