Bugs in my beloved wood pile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sloth9669

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have heard of people spraying some type bug repellent under wood pallets before they stack there wood on there to dry for the year. How much is it ? Were do you get it ? And what is any side affects it has on the soil you spray it on ?? Thanx for your info....

I never worry about it. But, if I did, I would use SEVIN. It comes in a concentrate, WIll kill most bugs, and is safe enough to spray on tomatoes that you will eventually eat.

You can buy it anywhere. I buy mine at MENARDS, LOWES, KMART, ETc

Bugs, snakes, spiders - all a fact of life when you heat with wood. Just use a bit of caution when getting wood off the pile if you are in snake country, for bugs, just ignore them. Remarkably few of them wind up in the house and a spray with a size 10 brogan takes care of the problem.

You can spray under the pile as you said but that doesn't keep the flying insects off. For them you would need repeated applications. Not good for the environment to be using that much there or the byproduct when you burn the wood.

Harry K

bugs are a fact of life when storing wood.

try using OAK pallets and putting them on top of 4 cinderblocks ( 1 on each corner) that should deter most bugs. i am also a certified pest control applicator and yes sevin will work but i dont reccomend it especialy if you are spraying close to burning season.

try to keep your wood storage area in a sunny area insted of a damp and dark area. hope this helps

-mike

Back