Building a 390XP Monster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Um, ya them saws sound nasty! I want one. Need one? No. Want one? YES!
What were they wearing?

Looks like you guys had fun!

How does the porting line up with each saw?

390XP
Exhaust - 97
Transfers - 114/118 staggered
Intake - 84
Blowdown - 17/21
Compression - 190-200 can't remember for sure
Timing advanced 6°
Carb bored 1mm

Exhaust - 100
Transfers - 119/121 staggered
Intake - 95
Blowdown - 19/21
Compression - 198
Timing advanced 6°
Carb stock

390XP
Exhaust - 97
Transfers - 114/118 staggered
Intake - 84
Blowdown - 17/21
Compression - 190-200 can't remember for sure
Timing advanced 6°
Carb bored 1mm

Exhaust - 100
Transfers - 119/121 staggered
Intake - 95
Blowdown - 19/21
Compression - 198
Timing advanced 6°
Carb stock

Cool. How do you stagger your transfers? Intake one higher? Like is one trans higher then the other? Or do they slope up from ex to intake? Or vise versa?

For what its worth. As a inexperienced ported saw runner,:) I had the opportunity to run both saws also. I ran them a little earlier in the day. I thought the Husky had the edge. Talking to Nik, he thought the same thing, but others thought the opposite. LOL And I think the stop watch gave the edge to the 2188. Either way..they are darn close, and both a hoot!:D

:cheers:
Gregg,

Cool. How do you stagger your transfers? Intake one higher? Like is one trans higher then the other? Or do they slope up from ex to intake? Or vise versa?

One's just higher than the other, not sloped. Actually, I have the exhaust side one's opening up first. That's not the norm, but something another builder suggested trying. It certainly doesn't hurt!

One's just higher than the other, not sloped. Actually, I have the exhaust side one's opening up first. That's not the norm, but something another builder suggested trying. It certainly doesn't hurt!

I've never tried it. I've always thought that you'd want the intake side to open last.

Looks like a great time. I would have loved to have been there to give my 390 a go, but my daughter was back from college for her birthday.

Both saws scream Brad, nice work. What wood were you cutting, Oak? looks like it to me.

I also liked the 390 better than the 2188, but I guess the 2188 had a little more grunt, and after looking at Brad's numbers I can see why. Sure the larger bore may have played a role, but the numbers did the trick IMHO.:msp_smile:

I also liked the 390 better than the 2188, but I guess the 2188 had a little more grunt, and after looking at Brad's numbers I can see why. Sure the larger bore may have played a role, but the numbers did the trick IMHO.:msp_smile:

You must subscribe to the "less can be more" thinking as well.

Loved the video, in spite of what everyone else says, it was blatantly obvious that the Jonsereds was far superior.

This in spite of the fact you tamed it with a 7t sprocket, but that's OK, I like Huskys next, then Partner, then Homelites.

Nice saws, nice videos,

Thank you Brad,

luck,greg

I tried to determine a clear cut winner, and couldn't do it. They just have slightly different "personalities". I think I'm going to leave the pipe and 2-piece head setup at home, and leave both of these setup like they are, only adding the "new" carbs to both of them. I'd like to get more time behind them, as well as some more of you guys opinions. I have a lot of testing and tuning yet to do to the pipe, and don't plan on having that done by then.

I tried to determine a clear cut winner, and couldn't do it. They just have slightly different "personalities". I think I'm going to leave the pipe and 2-piece head setup at home, and leave both of these setup like they are, only adding the "new" carbs to both of them. I'd like to get more time behind them, as well as some more of you guys opinions. I have a lot of testing and tuning yet to do to the pipe, and don't plan on having that done by then.

I'd say there should be at least a dozen tanks through both then retest.

I'm not sure I'll have anything done for the cant racing. I'll have several work saws though. We shall play. :)

Back