Building a 390XP Monster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both saws are now wearing different carbs, both opened up to .745"/18.9mm. I put the Tilly HS 296A on the 390XP and it runs perfectly. I put the 298A on the 2188 and it just wouldn't run right. This is the same carb that I tried, and then removed from the 395XP I had. I then took the Walbro WJ that had been on the 390XP and bored it to the same .745". It was already at .730" from the work I had done to it by hand. It's now running perfectly as well. The throttle plate is the same size on both carbs, so should flow the same at WOT. I went ahead and bored the WJ from the 2188 and plan to put it on my 372XP.

Both saws seem to be making more RPMs with these "bigger" carbs. Throttle response is still great on both saws. I won't know the full story though until I get them in wood. That's something that's very scarce around here:(

Another update here. Several of us had the opportunity to run both saws at Wigg's GTG yesterday. This time, both saws had the same muffler mod and both had carbs with the same size venturi, although one was a Tilly and one a Walbro. It still amazes me how different the "personalities" are on these two saws!

While being very close, the 2188BB does have a significant torque advantage and is the stronger saw in in big wood with a long bar. It's powerband is wider, and it's a more user friendly saw. In about 30" wood it was faster than the 395s and 3120 that were there.

The 390 makes significantly more RPMs. While right on the heels of the 2188 in big wood, it was a blast to cant race with. I've never run a saw/chain combo that was so confidence inspiring and easy to run. I made a two cut run through 12" Yellow Pine in 7.25 seconds. I hate to remove this topend to make room for the piped setup. Does this mean I need a 3rd one of these?:biggrin:

Last edited:
a man can never have enough saw especially if they are 390/2188.:hmm3grin2orange:

Another update here. Several of us had the opportunity to run both saws at Wigg's GTG yesterday. This time, both saws had the same muffler mod and both had carbs with the same size venturi, although one was a Tilly and one a Walbro. It still amazes me how different the "personalities" are on these two saws!

While being very close, the 2188BB does have a significant torque advantage and is the stronger saw in in big wood with a long bar. It's powerband is wider, and it's a more user friendly saw. In about 30" wood it was faster than the 395s and 3120 that were there.

The 390 makes significantly more RPMs. While right on the heels of the 2188 in big wood, it was a blast to cant race with. I've never run a saw/chain combo that was so confidence inspiring and easy to run. I made a two cut run through 12" Yellow Pine in 7.25 seconds. I hate to remove this topend to make room for the piped setup. Does this mean I need a 3rd one of these?:biggrin:
I don't believe there was a timed run against my 395 LOL. I guess we will save that for another time. I can tell you that thing 390 was a blast to run in the pine cant. I couldn't believe how it went through the wood. It put a smile on my face.

I don't think I even ran any of the bigger saws that were there :mad:. I did see the BB2188 and Rolltides 395 make a few runs and could tell they were really strong. Without swapping chains out no one would ever know which one is for sure faster though. I had a nice 36'' full comp chain I made up just for this test, but my dumb ass grabbed the 36'' off the roll Oregon square instead of the good one I had filed. That off the roll square really stinks.......I made one cut with the off the roll chain and was like dang is it ever gonna get to the end of the cut!!! Needless to say I put it away pretty fast :laugh::laugh:.

Next time though.......;)

I love the sound of the big bore saws in the woods. Something about the sound of a 90cc saw dogged in a big tree turning 11,000 under load I just like :rock: !

I love the sound of the big bore saws in the woods. Something about the sound of a 90cc saw dogged in a big tree turning 11,000 under load I just like :rock: !

Oh yeah! Been feelin' that way for thirty years, since Dad bought the 045AV Super in my signature. Dyin' to hear my ported 390XP under load (hurry up bar adaptor!).

Back