building a logsplitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tocold4u2

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i have 2 or 3 old mowers around they are from 9-13 hp i`m thinking of using one of the motors to build a logsplitter , i have a 4 " and a 6 " i-beam here and could get a larger i-beam if needed. i have some 1/4 & 3/8 ar plate , so i would say that would be a great start at the project. what do you all think??
thinking of making a splitter that tilts. i figured that it would give me something to do until next year:)

Go to TSC

and have a good gander..Hey nothing makes anything easier than just do what someone else has already done.
Somewhere on here I saw a splitter that split going bothways. Had a double wedge and two flat plates ,one on each end. That is the way to split wood.cylinder was mounted in a tube , and the wedge protruded through a slot. So it used a square tube of steel instead of an I beam.

i've seen some great designs in this forum in regards to home made splitters. i guess it comes down to how much you want to get into it and what materials you have available. being a former toolmaker, i love to see how people engineer their own projects. many are quite impressive.

design away and post pictures as you do your project!!!!

Somewhere on here I saw a splitter that split going bothways. Had a double wedge and two flat plates ,one on each end.
That sounds very interesting; If you come across a link to that thread, I would like to see it!

What a fun project! My father and I built one over 25 years ago and I still use it. Dad's gone now but the memories of building it still last. Had to replace the engine (10HP Tecumseh) about 5 years ago. Replaced one hose about 10 years ago also. Almost bullet proof! Have fun.

Latest posts

Back