Building a rare one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Red saw lover
Reaction score
Last spring I sold a 2153 that I built, and I regretted it almost immediately. I went to ebay and bought another 2149 carcass. It's been sitting in a box ever since. I'd slowly been collecting parts; some nice, some just OK. My plans for it had changed as components came and went. Last month I acquired a really ugly OE 346 and I thought "I bet that 42mm jug would make a nice limbing saw". With the Dolmar 420 gone last fall and a heated 5001 makita planned to be ported as my main saw, I had an opening for something red that turns some "Rs". With the plastic saws out of my system for a while, it was time.
20190303_185305.jpg
The tank, case and top cover are pretty nice. The rest is just OK. The jug has one broken fin but I don't ever plan on loading this saw real heavily so it should be fine.

I've recently started doing a little grinding. I don't have good tools for this so my work is crude, but a little smoothing, widening, and raising shouldn't hurt. I'm not building a bucking saw here, so I can give up some torque for some speed.
20190307_075343.jpg 20190305_112945.jpg 20190307_130843.jpg
Things are not as uneven as the pics make it look. You porting vets out there, take it easy on me.

Here's the finished product. As far as I know the 2147 was never sold here. I'm sure a few have seen my want ad for some j-red parts. This is why. If you have a nice starter laying around this is what I'd like it for. I can live with the clutch cover and wrap but I am keeping any eye out for nicer versions of those too. I opened up the stock muffler outlet.
20190310_145933.jpg 20190310_145924.jpg

Yeah, drill seems like a tough way to do it.

I can appreciate that.

I was using an old very old 1,000 black n decker silver and black drill for porting with carbide bits and flapper sanding drums for porting B.B. Chevys.

I did buy one of those foot pedal control motor, cable drive drill chucks too I think it was $400.

For the chain saws I have a Dremel with 1/8” shank carbide bits with small 1/8” shank shank drum sanders they come in a assortment size wise on eBay and Amazon.
If you want the port even smoother there is grit compounds like valve grinding grit with felt pads. Then use the car compound to go smoother. I never done it that smooth yet but I’m all set up for it. Porting is all about smoothing out the flow the more easier for the gas to flow the better. I’ll post pics when I port.

Since I haven’t been working out with chain saws my arms might hurt too. I need to get my strength back anyway.

Back