Building a splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yanmar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My plan is to build an uprite table style splitter w/ log lift to help ease the pain of this broken down back . I will try to mimic the power splitter static buggy and was wondering if anyone has done this and things they wish they had done differently . I believe with the access of metal I can get for free and buying all the components new for the build I should fall into the $2000.00 range . Thanks Dennis p.s. great site w/ a lot of great info

If one tried hard all the stuff is available for a $1000, but some times to get cheap stuff is not practical. I am currently tying to put one together with more or less same goal in mind. There are many engine pump kits that go for $500. I am using a 18 HP clone motor with 28 gpm pump with a 4.5'' ram. One should be able to find a small ram for a lift gate pretty cheap. I know of several people you have used the main ram to lift logs, but for me I want separate hydraulics. One thing that has slowed me down was a good log lift and table to work on. I need an effective processor that can be moved easy with pickup. Thanks

If one tried hard all the stuff is available for a $1000, but some times to get cheap stuff is not practical. I am currently tying to put one together with more or less same goal in mind. There are many engine pump kits that go for $500. I am using a 18 HP clone motor with 28 gpm pump with a 4.5'' ram. One should be able to find a small ram for a lift gate pretty cheap. I know of several people you have used the main ram to lift logs, but for me I want separate hydraulics. One thing that has slowed me down was a good log lift and table to work on. I need an effective processor that can be moved easy with pickup. Thanks
I am lucky enough to access to most of the metal I will need for free and I have all the plate steel I will need at home . I also was doing some digging around and found a Honda gx 390 k1 but needs everything from the fan blade out to air cleaner housing and everything between , engine is free and has good compression . Seen on e-bay that I can get a chink kit to replace the carb , rope starter , air filter and some other parts that I don't need but it's only $30.00 . I will still need to get flywheel shroud and air cleaner assembly and cover . I will do some home work on what cylinder and valve I wanna use for the splitter ( will convert to foot operation valve ) and a separate control for log lift . I've already have a small angle cylinder from a snow plow that will work for the log lift . I am open to used equipment as well . I have the weather to start working on my boat again but when it turns I will focus on building the splitter and document and post pics as progress goes . I am open to any suggestions to help me along . Thanks Dennis

Just a personal opinion so take it for what its worth. A log lift still isn't the best tool with a bad back. You still have to roll the log to the splitter and once split you have to catch the splits that have to be resplit, meaning you will endup lifting some wood off the ground. You will be constantly bending over and lifting. I put a winch and boom on my splitter several years ago. The lifting of heavy wood just got to much. With the winch, I can just walk over to round and hook up the log dogs without even bending over. I winch it up to the beam and just set the round on it for splitting. If the round is really big. I split pieces from around the edge without unhooking the log dogs, so I aint lifting anything for resplitting. If I was going to build myself a new splitter, I would most likely copy the
Eastonmade splitter design that splits the log across the bottom and then pulls the round back to finish splitting the top half. You wouldn't need as big a cyl to split the tuff stuff and every split would be of similar size. You handle the round one time and repeat the cycle until the round is done.

So ironically I did about the same thing years ago. Only thing i would change is a hydraulic adjustable multi way wedge. Other then the power beyond valve for the lift, the pump, and cylinder. Everything else I had or got for free. Here's a pic, nothing special. But it works well.
Ps... I got a yanmar too ;)

Attachments

• 15999497009711965451982806729440.jpg
    15999497009711965451982806729440.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 58
  • 15999497689763066944581014667968.jpg
    15999497689763066944581014667968.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 53
  • 15999498137238140448538179573756.jpg
    15999498137238140448538179573756.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 51
Just a personal opinion so take it for what its worth. A log lift still isn't the best tool with a bad back. You still have to roll the log to the splitter and once split you have to catch the splits that have to be resplit, meaning you will endup lifting some wood off the ground. You will be constantly bending over and lifting. I put a winch and boom on my splitter several years ago. The lifting of heavy wood just got to much. With the winch, I can just walk over to round and hook up the log dogs without even bending over. I winch it up to the beam and just set the round on it for splitting. If the round is really big. I split pieces from around the edge without unhooking the log dogs, so I aint lifting anything for resplitting. If I was going to build myself a new splitter, I would most likely copy the
Eastonmade splitter design that splits the log across the bottom and then pulls the round back to finish splitting the top half. You wouldn't need as big a cyl to split the tuff stuff and every split would be of similar size. You handle the round one time and repeat the cycle until the round is done.
So ironically I did about the same thing years ago. Only thing i would change is a hydraulic adjustable multi way wedge. Other then the power beyond valve for the lift, the pump, and cylinder. Everything else I had or got for free. Here's a pic, nothing special. But it works well.
Ps... I got a yanmar too ;)

I don't think you guys read the OP closely enough. He's talking about something like this:

Personally I'd love to try one for a day!I I still think tongs on a winch sound good though.

I don't think you guys read the OP closely enough. He's talking about something like this:

Personally I'd love to try one for a day!I I still think tongs on a winch sound good though.

Where I work we have a powersplit like that only with 2 splitting stations
It has a 20hp Honda on it
Works great
It has log lift on both stations too

Sent from Hoskey hilltop

We have one of these also
It will take a log 50” by 10ft long
Cylinder is 8”x 9ft with a 5” shaft

9e53bfcca7b08183869d70afbbe1fb90.jpg
9a2b47403f22dd7e6330c3e65c866764.jpg

Sent from Hoskey hilltop

I am lucky enough to access to most of the metal I will need for free and I have all the plate steel I will need at home . I also was doing some digging around and found a Honda gx 390 k1 but needs everything from the fan blade out to air cleaner housing and everything between , engine is free and has good compression . Seen on e-bay that I can get a chink kit to replace the carb , rope starter , air filter and some other parts that I don't need but it's only $30.00 . I will still need to get flywheel shroud and air cleaner assembly and cover . I will do some home work on what cylinder and valve I wanna use for the splitter ( will convert to foot operation valve ) and a separate control for log lift . I've already have a small angle cylinder from a snow plow that will work for the log lift . I am open to used equipment as well . I have the weather to start working on my boat again but when it turns I will focus on building the splitter and document and post pics as progress goes . I am open to any suggestions to help me along . Thanks Dennis

Engines don't have "chink kits". That'd be something you'd buy to help seal up a log building.
Guessing it's a typo and you meant "Chinese kit."

Snow plow cylinders are normally 1 way... extend only. The angle cylinders work with each other and the lift cylinder is gravity retract.
I suppose if the lift table is heavy enough that would work, though it'd be better to use a 2 way cylinder.

Engines don't have "chink kits". That'd be something you'd buy to help seal up a log building.

Snow plow cylinders are normally 1 way... extend only. The angle cylinders work with each other and the lift cylinder is gravity retract.
I suppose if the lift table is heavy enough that would work, though it'd be better to use a 2 way cylinder.
Kinda like the kung fu flu .;)

The cylinder is power out and power return for the log lift , although originally it was going to be power out only and gravity return and friend talked me out of it .

Just finished the 7th splitter build of the table style. I was given a working 1 year old Dirty hands H/V and asked to use what I could to convert to a table style. The owner supplied all the steel that was found around the shop. The engine is converted to run on gas or propane. The log lift is cable operated it lifts as the wedge extends. The cylinder retracts for travel at interstate speeds with full suspension.

Attachments

• IMG_1236.JPG
    IMG_1236.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1238.JPG
    IMG_1238.JPG
    989.4 KB · Views: 57
Just finished the 7th splitter build of the table style. I was given a working 1 year old Dirty hands H/V and asked to use what I could to convert to a table style. The owner supplied all the steel that was found around the shop. The engine is converted to run on gas or propane. The log lift is cable operated it lifts as the wedge extends. The cylinder retracts for travel at interstate speeds with full suspension.
Is that a flange style mount on the cylinder and if it is mind me asking where to get one ? I've been looking online and only found trunion style but I have found locally a 4.5 bore w/ 2.25 piston reduced to 1.75 on end of piston x 24" stroke .

Is that a flange style mount on the cylinder and if it is mind me asking where to get one ? I've been looking online and only found trunion style but I have found locally a 4.5 bore w/ 2.25 piston reduced to 1.75 on end of piston x 24" stroke .
Any cylinder can be converted to front mount with 2 steel plates and 4 rods. I use 3/4" high strength all thread rod.
This cylinder was shortened 10" to get a 24" stroke.
This splitter pictured was repainted and wheel modded by buyer.

Attachments

• cat cylinder rebuild 004.jpg
    cat cylinder rebuild 004.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 42
  • Copy of splitter details 001 (Small).jpg
    Copy of splitter details 001 (Small).jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 41

I didnt catch the vertical part of his post. I still say a boom with winch would be better than rolling a big round across the yard just to get it to a lift. I would also want the lift simply because I can raise it up and stack several rounds on it for splitting. Its a personal preference as to how one wants to handle the wood.

I didnt catch the vertical part of his post. I still say a boom with winch would be better than rolling a big round across the yard just to get it to a lift. I would also want the lift simply because I can raise it up and stack several rounds on it for splitting. Its a personal preference as to how one wants to handle the wood.

Agreed. The rigs with a winch and a boom have always looked great to me. Would love to add one to my setup, but my splitter is about at the weight limit of what my little tractor can lift.

Latest posts

Back