Building a splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Propane doesn't gum up the carburetor, easier starting, cleaner burning, and longer storage life. The carb used was multi-fuel.
We have a Toyota forklift that is run on propane / gas but we only use the propane . Changed the oil @ 200 hours and it looked like the day it was put in pretty incredible . Propane = way longer engine life .

One issue with propane is on cold days engines do not start. For sure propane engine can last for years so do diesel engines. They look like pros and cons to me. Likely depends on amount of projected hours. Thanks

My plan is to build an uprite table style splitter w/ log lift to help ease the pain of this broken down back . I will try to mimic the power splitter static buggy and was wondering if anyone has done this and things they wish they had done differently . I believe with the access of metal I can get for free and buying all the components new for the build I should fall into the $2000.00 range . Thanks Dennis p.s. great site w/ a lot of great info
I am going to do the same thing. I purchased a splitter from HD for a box wedge project but I believe I have settled on the tabletop type splitter project. I reasoned purchasing a vertical/horizontal package and modifying it was the way to go, since my previous project has left me with a whole lot of extra steel. A nice small trailer cost me $250.

I like this guys lift and it is real clean but there may be a simpler way to make it work.

This is a simpler way but seems difficult to load.

So the build has begun ! So first off I will be replicating the power split static buggy tow behind . I had to buy some metal as in the post for splitting and also plate steel for the splitting area . I have a sheet of 3/16 that will finish off the rest of the table and the final dimension will be 5' x 32 " . I also started to make the trailer beam and axle from metal I had laying around . I had to order a spindle kit w/ hubs and one 14" wheel as I have complete wheel set up and also one tire . I will be tacking everything together and my son will weld all together as my skills of welding have diminished from lack of welding and poor eyesight from getting old lol , plus he is a fabricator . So far the costs to date .
Honda gx 390 - free
Steel - $202.00 ( 8" x 4" x 1/4" x 12' rectangular tube and 2' x 2' x 1/2 plate steel )
Spindle kit $142.00 ( 14 " tires no suspension )
Wheel - $40.00
Trailer coupler - $20.00

Attachments

• 4-2.jpg
    4-2.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20201005_093140.jpg
    20201005_093140.jpg
    832.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20201003_130754.jpg
    20201003_130754.jpg
    767.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20201003_130807.jpg
    20201003_130807.jpg
    904.9 KB · Views: 29
Nice, That blue model appears a little low for my liking. Do you have a height that you are favoring for the table?
Working height will be @ 40 " as I am 6'2" . This splitter is being built to minimize any bending over including a log lift that will have rollers . When lifted the wood will slide over the rollers to rollers built into the working table to the splitting pad , nothing on the splitter pad or the other side of the pad . My game plan is to roll the bucked logs to the lift with the bark side down with my foot ( we will see how that goes lol )

yanmar, I would consider building my machine for a shorter person and then add blocks to the axle to get the height you want. Sucks to build something tall and then wish it was a little shorter. I built my big splitter using the scrap tires that were on it for the build. After it was all done I installed the new tires that I had for it, yup they were 2" shorter on the sidewalls so working height is almost 4" lower. I just throw a couple of 2x4's under where the wheels will sit so it works for me but I'm glad I didn't have lower tires on it and be stuck with it too tall.

Not broken back, but broken wrists in my case. Also bad back so the target was to take the timber from the fallen tree to the stove with no lifting apart from the last couple of yards to the stove with a small Ash log
Safety in mind led to operation of the machinery remotely with a cheap ($30) winch controller which even gives the capability of loading a high vehicle using the teleporter.

I would be worried that the sliding piece on the pusher will bind being so narrow.
That is the least of his worries. :surprised3: Unless he's building this unit as a gift for the wifie or the mother in law, I would be worried about electrocution from the vibration and damage to those overhead service conductors :sweet:

20201017_140018.jpg

Back