Building a wood stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sschultz1969

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need to replace my barrel stove in my shop. I want to build a new wood stove out of 3/16 stainless steel. I have a 6" exhaust. My shop is block and cement. I would like to incorporate tunes for secondary gas burn. I plan on buying a cast iron door otherwise it will be stainless with mild steel tubing for the framework. Is there any basic plans out to go off of? Any advise would be appreciated.

I need to replace my barrel stove in my shop. I want to build a new wood stove out of 3/16 stainless steel. I have a 6" exhaust. My shop is block and cement. I would like to incorporate tunes for secondary gas burn. I plan on buying a cast iron door otherwise it will be stainless with mild steel tubing for the framework. Is there any basic plans out to go off of? Any advise would be appreciated.
Google "Plans for building metal wood burning stove"

Why stainless? As a welder, I can tell you stainless warps something fierce when you start heating it (due to its low thermal conductivity), and most stainless alloys will also rust once you get it hot once or twice due to carbide precipitation.

Lots of plans out there...I plan to eventually make something like a double-barrel wood stove using the tanks from discarded hot water heaters...

Why stainless? As a welder, I can tell you stainless warps something fierce when you start heating it (due to its low thermal conductivity), and most stainless alloys will also rust once you get it hot once or twice due to carbide precipitation.

Lots of plans out there...I plan to eventually make something like a double-barrel wood stove using the tanks from discarded hot water heaters...
I get it for scrap price at my work. It may rust but it won't rust out for many years. I have a plan for warpage control. Thanks for the info tho. I' retiring my barrel stove.

I have made several stoves out of old propane tanks they worked great but now days my insurance company won't allow any home built stoves make sure you are good with your insurance company you don't want to find out after something happens.

I built my own stove for my camp in vt. I used a barrel castiron door. I had ribs top on and sides inside the stove, I fire brick lined the bottom and sides. I use two heat temp woodstove gages. One tells me the temp of the stove to control the wood burn time and to keep the temp even where I get the max burn time out of the wood.. The gage on the pipe tells me how much heat is going up the chimney and make sure it’s not too cool so creosote doesn’t form. I welded the steel inside and outside of the stove, it was made in ‘87 and still toasty warm today.

Back