Building a workshop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gorman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm in the market for building a workshop at my home address. I have some room to work with but not a ton. I have to be smart about it.

Anyone have any advice?

Go as big as you can... I built a 40x32 with 8 foot walls I could have done a lot bigger...

Yep, as big as you can physically go. Got a 24x32 with two separate 9' wide roll up doors in front, top area knee-walled and floored, access through a pull down hidden stairwell in ceiling...roof is a 10/12 so plenty of useable storage room. Also framed a 4'x4' opening in ceiling/top floor and installed a big rope/pulley and is attached to a big basket on the shop floor...can lift/pull up heavy things with ease to the top of the shop vice carrying up the hidden stairs. Sometimes I wish the shop was twice the size...I promise ya I could fill it. ;)

I put a wood stove in mine. Wish I had put a toilet...

And make sure it has a heater of some sort.
i.e. ....small wood stove :innocent:. If you run window units with heat strips, small tonnage condenser unit/heat pump, anything electric for heat, and you start hearing a distinct 'humming' noise, there's nothing wrong...it's just your electric meter running so fast, trying to come out of its base, your power company will love ya, while you hate them even more...can you say $$cha-ching cha-ching$$. Burn wood and be done with it, only cost then is a little time, sweat, and backache.

i.e. ....small wood stove :innocent:. If you run window units with heat strips, small tonnage condenser unit/heat pump, anything electric for heat, and you start hearing a distinct 'humming' noise, there's nothing wrong...it's just your electric meter running so fast, trying to come out of its base, your power company will love ya, while you hate them even more...can you say $$cha-ching cha-ching$$. Burn wood and be done with it, only cost then is a little time, sweat, and backache.
I have hot water supplied outside my shop door and you want to see that clean vehicles and saws :numberone:

Yeah thanks guys. I'm looking at about 55'x55'. I'm building probably at my house so I can run hot water one way or another.
Anyone have a preference on steel or wood?

Yeah thanks guys. I'm looking at about 55'x55'. I'm building probably at my house so I can run hot water one way or another.
Anyone have a preference on steel or wood?
Price them out accordingly, get material estimates if you can't figure it on your own...no idea you were talking a shop that size. That'll be a helluva nice shop...

i ended having the electric company set a separate meter for mine. My house meter is on the other side and I would have been pushing the main breaker with my welder in the shop... Plus it was going to cost around a grand for the copper... Just something to think about... The electric company around here will set one for free if it's for commercial...

i ended having the electric company set a separate meter for mine. My house meter is on the other side and I would have been pushing the main breaker with my welder in the shop... Plus it was going to cost around a grand for the copper... Just something to think about... The electric company around here will set one for free if it's for commercial...
Absolutely have a separate meter set...any high amp draw of that nature...welders, two-stage compressors, etc, etc would simply tax an existing 200 amp main that's already on the house.

Absolutely have a separate meter set...any high amp draw of that nature...welders, two-stage compressors, etc, etc would simply tax an existing 200 amp main that's already on the house.
Keep one meter that get the line split to different services. Here if you have a separate meter you will have another monthly service fee.

Lay it all out on grid paper. Be sure it is set up well to get a trailer in and out and any equipment that has broken down towed and dropped either inside or in front of. It's awesome if you can drive through either through.
Floor drains are nice if allowed.
The higher the ceiling the more space, also the more to heat.
That size steel will most likely be cheaper.

Barns are like women you will never get the perfect one so you better find the one that has the most traits you need/can live with;).

Keep one meter that get the line split to different services. Here if you have a separate meter you will have another monthly service fee.
They don't 'lug up' two feeds off the same base meter here. Power companies can do it...they simply know how to get your ass for a few more bucks a month. They ain't no dummies, lol. But I understand fully whatcha sayin.

Something you may not have thought about is doing heated floors. Would be great not to have to lay on a cold concrete floor working on something. Put the compressor outside so you don't have to listen to it. That's how I have mine and it's much nicer than the previous shop where it was inside. Big as you can afford. I have a 30x40 and it's overfull. I also have a 40x45 that I'm working on setting up now. Once you have a workshop like this, you'll wonder how you functioned without it.

Something you may not have thought about is doing heated floors. Would be great not to have to lay on a cold concrete floor working on something. Put the compressor outside so you don't have to listen to it. That's how I have mine and it's much nicer than the previous shop where it was inside. Big as you can afford. I have a 30x40 and it's overfull. I also have a 40x45 that I'm working on setting up now. Once you have a workshop like this, you'll wonder how you functioned without it.

How did you put a compressor outside? Is there a shed built on the side of your shop?

Back