Building a workshop

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah a lean to or extended roof is all that is needed here. We don't get much snow here. I put a 2 post lift in mine as well. It's been the best money I've spent on the shop. I use it all the time for picking up stuff in addition to lifting cars and trucks.

Yeah thanks guys. I'm looking at about 55'x55'. I'm building probably at my house so I can run hot water one way or another.
Anyone have a preference on steel or wood?
If you go with wood you should think about even numbers since you will basically pay for the rounded up even measurements. Meaning that a 55 x 55 will cost almost the same as a 56x56. A pole building is the most economical in increments of 8' since that's the normal post spacing.
I have never built a steel building but I know the steel roofing is sold by the inch.
In my dreams my shop has an OWB with radiant heat piped through the concrete floor. Then I wake up.
image.jpeg

Lay it all out on grid paper

Use SketchUp. Its a free open-source download and very, very easy to use. http://www.sketchup.com/

Draw 3D architecture plans down to the 1/64" or up to miles across. Great for furniture too. You absolutely don't need to be a designer to use this. If you can use a computer mouse, then you can use it. (though I do suggest the brief tutorial the have, but within 5 minutes you'll know the basics even if you teach yourself by trial and error)

Even if you just want a rough idea how it'll look, this lets you do it with accuracy. Also has textures (brickface, wood, corrugated steel, etc) landscape features (grass, trees, etc) and even human figures you can add to get a real idea on the end result. You can even paste your designs onto a photo of your existing house to see how it'll look all together.

Back