Building an Inertia/Kinetic Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome pics!

If anyone is looking for the spring that holds the rack up away from the pinion on the return stroke, I think the ones commonly found under riding lawnmower seats (Cub Cadet) should be just the ticket.

Awesome pics!

If anyone is looking for the spring that holds the rack up away from the pinion on the return stroke, I think the ones commonly found under riding lawnmower seats (Cub Cadet) should be just the ticket.

I'll keep this in mind. Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'll keep this in mind. Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I came across this forum looking for info on a DIY kinetic splitter. I know this topic is almost a year old, but I was wondering if you did make your DIY splitter.
I just finished my bill-of-materials and am planning on building one around a module 4 rack, 16 tooth gear and a 30mm ( 1 1/4") axle. Using 2 pieces of 30kg (70 lbs a piece) barbell weights. Rpm would be in the lower 200's.Any thoughts on that having the experience from the past year ?

No I never ended up building. The. Flywheels were my problem area and lack of cheap machining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've followed and join in on this thread from the start. I have most of the parts gathered to build one. I plan on using one flywheel from a New Holland hay baler I bought for $50.00. Right now I'm stuck on the pusher block and how to mount the bearings so they ride on the I beam in both directions. Most of the problem is I've never seen this type of splitter in person,only in pictures and videos on the net.

I hear there is normally one brought to GTGs for others to try. You can also start a thread asking if there is someone in your area with one you could see. Most folks on here are very helpful.

Sorry to rain on someone's parade bu NEVER use barbell or tractor wheel weights. They are cast out of the worst quality iron and filled with defects. Look up flywheel explosions on the web and you will find out how dangerous a flywheel can be. A diesel or antique tractor flywheel is going to be of sufficient quality or a steel plate. Balancing should be done on static balance ways, not a tire balancer. Look up "motorcycle balance ways". These are cheap, easy, safe, and extremely effective IF you are meticulous and detailed oriented. If your a sloppy idiot, well your going to hurt yourself and others

Why not use flywheels from hit & miss engines? They usually come in matched pairs and come in a multitude of weights and diameters. Go to a steam and gas engine show and check out the vendors selling used parts.

Glad this thread was dug up, very interesting to see someone go a different route with a splitter build project.

especially @Firebrick....thanks for the warning. 2nd hand Flywheels are hard to come by (=expensive) her in Holland. In the meanwhile I started splitting it by hand :). Until I find real affordable flywheels I'll put this project on hold.

Thanks again.

Koffie, how long of rounds are you splitting? There is a video on YouTube of a hand operated splitter which looks like it works well with shorter length rounds.

If mounted on a stable base, you could even have a davit/lifting boom setup to to pick up the larger pieces & set them on the table for you. This would be a fairly inexpensive setup.

Koffie, how long of rounds are you splitting? There is a video on YouTube of a hand operated splitter which looks like it works well with shorter length rounds.

If mounted on a stable base, you could even have a davit/lifting boom setup to to pick up the larger pieces & set them on the table for you. This would be a fairly inexpensive setup.

That guy needs some oil on that spring, hinge, heck the whole thing. Looks like it will rust away.

Back