Building modded mufflers for professional fallers??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yotaismygame

Juiced Saws #GetJuiced
Reaction score
The law in Oregon states, “-a stock exhaust system and screen with < .023 inch holes.”

How are people modding mufflers to comply with this law? Are fallers following this law? Could I put a 1” pipe muffler on a 372 with screen and be okay? Is it as simple as no you cannot run a modded muffler period?

I doubt professional fallers modify their mufflers.

Around here firewood cutters use a chainsaw more then professional loggers.

modern-logging-operation-C6WC5A.jpg

The loggers and pulpers around here think it is silly to port and modify your saw to cut a second faster ! Does not have the time to be on a forum ! These men after a day of running a saw do not want to even discuss saws. I have been told this a many a time. It makes sense. The last thing I want to talk about after crawling around under a house all day is plumbing! Oh ! By the way. There are 2 major paper mills either side of me. Domtar to the north and IP to the south. It is major timber territory here!

Neither of those comments are true here in Oregon. Hoping someone who actually knows will chime in.

It depends on whose ground you're working on. For operations on Federal ground (generally US Forest Service or Bureau of Land Management), any kind of deviation from the factory exhaust configuration is disallowed.

It's not as much of an issue these days since there are very few timber sales taking place on federal ground. If the feds suspect something is up with your saw(s), or you start a fire, they can take your machine and inspect it,
or send the muffler assembly to one of the fire technology centers either at Missoula or San Dimas. There are technicians at those centers who determine if components have been modified.

The issue on State ground isn't enforced as closely except during the official fire season (This means the dates announced by ODF). Outside of fire season the state foresters generally aren't concerned about it. If they see
a chopped up exhaust though, whether on a saw or other machinery, it's likely that they'll say something.

Let’s keep this thread on track. Gary, I’ve heard that about fallers before. Makes sense. I bought four dead 372’s from a faller and they all had modded mufflers. I’m just curious what’s the norm with them. I might just have to contact some fallers I’ve sold saws too

It depends on whose ground you're working on. For operations on Federal ground (generally US Forest Service or Bureau of Land Management), any kind of deviation from the factory exhaust configuration is disallowed.

It's not as much of an issue these days since there are very few timber sales taking place on federal ground. If the feds suspect something is up with your saw(s), or you start a fire, they can take your machine and inspect it,
or send the muffler assembly to one of the fire technology centers either at Missoula or San Dimas. There are technicians at those centers who determine if components have been modified.

The issue on State ground isn't enforced as closely except during the official fire season (This means the dates announced by ODF). Outside of fire season the state foresters generally aren't concerned about it. If they see
a chopped up exhaust though, whether on a saw or other machinery, it's likely that they'll say something.

Good info

If you're going to modify mufflers for the fallers around here, just make sure they have a decent spark arrest screen and it should be fine. West coast guys are generally into modified saws.
I’d say make it look as stock as possible too, no crazy pipes sticking out all over. Whatever mm you do, make sure you have a sparkscreen in it, just to CYA.

Jacob where in Oregon are you at? I’m in the valley. This muffler is going on a 372xt I’m building right now. The last 372xp I built a faller out of hoodriver bought it. That saw had a 1” piped muffler with no screen, he didn’t seem to care. I’ve been thinking lately I’m going to start rebuilding saws that are popular to fallers. I find it more enjoyable than just building whatever saw I get a good deal on.
512E56FD-CDC3-4C9B-85E9-9C4DBB98ED0F.jpeg

Jacob where in Oregon are you at? I’m in the valley. This muffler is going on a 372xt I’m building right now. The last 372xp I built a faller out of hoodriver bought it. That saw had a 1” piped muffler with no screen, he didn’t seem to care. I’ve been thinking lately I’m going to start rebuilding saws that are popular to fallers. I find it more enjoyable than just building whatever saw I get a good deal on.
View attachment 697736

Unless there's a deflector over the exhaust port, that baby is the next best thing to carrying a bic lighter into the woods.

Well shoot,

I tried uploading my picture but it said the file size was too large. Guess we will have to call it quits

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was gonna use this opportunity tell a joke about my penis, but I decided against it. It's too long.

I spoke with the oregon department of forestry and had the guy there email me all the written laws regarding chainsaws.
Oregon law does not have anything to do with a muffler being stock or modified. The law is only in effect during fire season and says you must have a spark arrestor screen in place and it must be within a specific hole size. The law also requires a cutter to refuel no closer than I think 30 feet from where the saw is in operation. If I remember correctly there is also a requirement of having a water can or at least there should be. I need to dig it back up to refresh my memory on it, but I'm also remembering a shovel.
I know I'm a little short on specifics here, but that covers the basics.

I don't recommend straight out the front muffler openings unless you're trying to burn things while cutting. It'll surprise you how fast those chinese 372 mufflers, with the little pipe sticking out the front corner, will ignite a dry log. I was able to get a good cherry going within a few seconds of bucking in.

Latest posts

Back