Building modded mufflers for professional fallers??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That machine couldn’t handle a real log.

In my area there are two guys that cut the big trees for the lumber mills. They are certified and called to come out, on request and drop the BIG trees. The regular mill guys could probably do it, but for liability and insurance reasons would be fired after doing the BIG cuts. The one guy I know of the 2 that does the specialized work, goes thru a saw every 2 years, and can sharpen a chain like no other, and he does not modify his saws. A muffler mod? He laughs. Last time I ran into him he was running a 372 with a 32" B&C and there is nothing he can't tackle.

On this site the muffler mods and port work, that everybody here thinks NEEDS to be done first thing is for the pretend loggers. Practical wood cutting is done just fine with a stock saw. The 11.7 sec cutting time shared on YouTube, over the 12.1 second stock saw doesn't add up to a dried booger of difference over the few hours of cutting 1 to 2 cords of wood on a cold spring morning.

In my area there are two guys that cut the big trees for the lumber mills. They are certified and called to come out, on request and drop the BIG trees. The regular mill guys could probably do it, but for liability and insurance reasons would be fired after doing the BIG cuts. The one guy I know of the 2 that does the specialized work, goes thru a saw every 2 years, and can sharpen a chain like no other, and he does not modify his saws. A muffler mod? He laughs. Last time I ran into him he was running a 372 with a 32" B&C and there is nothing he can't tackle.

On this site the muffler mods and port work, that everybody here thinks NEEDS to be done first thing is for the pretend loggers. Practical wood cutting is done just fine with a stock saw. The 11.7 sec cutting time shared on YouTube, over the 12.1 second stock saw doesn't add up to a dried booger of difference over the few hours of cutting 1 to 2 cords of wood on a cold spring morning.
You seem to have a very limited perspective on this.

[QUOTE="MontanaResident, post: 6779382, member: 122190"[On this site the muffler mods and port work, that everybody here thinks NEEDS to be done first thing is for the pretend loggers. Practical wood cutting is done just fine with a stock saw. The 11.7 sec cutting time shared on YouTube, over the 12.1 second stock saw doesn't add up to a dried booger of difference over the few hours of cutting 1 to 2 cords of wood on a cold spring morning.[/QUOTE]

I don’t understand why you’re even commenting on this thread. Some people just like to run exceptional machines.

If you’re not contributing to my initial question, move on.

Jacob where in Oregon are you at? I’m in the valley. This muffler is going on a 372xt I’m building right now. The last 372xp I built a faller out of hoodriver bought it. That saw had a 1” piped muffler with no screen, he didn’t seem to care. I’ve been thinking lately I’m going to start rebuilding saws that are popular to fallers. I find it more enjoyable than just building whatever saw I get a good deal on.

I'm over on the coast, just above the town of Waldport. I cut timber for several years full time and I lived just north of Grants Pass then.

I agree with Jim - those straight out the front exhaust exits are not desirable for working in the brush, although in the winter it doesn't matter.

Myself and the guys that I cut with usually had both stock mufflers for fire season and modified mufflers for the rest of the year.

I'm over on the coast, just above the town of Waldport. I cut timber for several years full time and I lived just north of Grants Pass then.

I agree with Jim - those straight out the front exhaust exits are not desirable for working in the brush, although in the winter it doesn't matter.

Myself and the guys that I cut with usually had both stock mufflers for fire season and modified mufflers for the rest of the year.

Okay I know where you’re at. You guys answered my question. :rock:

a43bcf46c2e96ba784dcf4f690522d2b.jpg

This is a pretty common style of muffler for fallers up in NW Oregon SW Washington, can’t find the picture of the one Woods use to do on the 372/390’s right but it looks the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let’s keep this thread on track. Gary, I’ve heard that about fallers before. Makes sense. I bought four dead 372’s from a faller and they all had modded mufflers. I’m just curious what’s the norm with them. I might just have to contact some fallers I’ve sold saws too
this is only my honest opinion, but I believe, professionals muffler mod as its the easiest way for the engine to reach its potential power wise? I also believe in a number of cases this is done to protect the engine/make it more reliable? as modern saws are so heavily restricted that they cause a carbon build up on the exhaust port which flakes off, gets sucked against the piston and scores the piston resulting in loss of compression. I also have heard muffler-modding helps keep the engine cool? which would make sense as its less restricted. ported saws get the absolute maximum out of the engine, but how long will the engine last screaming 8-9 hours a day 5 days a week ? this is why I think they go for muffler mods ? but someone may put me right ? CD

Round pipe? "Jungle Muffler"
The 90's just called and they want their muffler back.

The Fact is you have to adhere to the highest standard or lie cheat and 'steal'and be well practised at the art of deception. Anybody and everybody is the the new authority it seems when you bounce jobs and industries.

Great deceptive fabricators will always seek out great artistic fabricators.

You can't beat them, you deceive them.

They logged the farm last year for hard woods. All I seen them use was a backho with a clamp to load the logs onto a low boy. And heavy equipment to cut down the trees and remove the branches. Although I didn't see them use chainsaws they did use them because I had to clean up after the slobs. They left there plastic bar oil jugs laying around. Its been a year and we are still repairing roads, cleaning trash and burning brush.

They logged the farm last year for hard woods. All I seen them use was a backho with a clamp to load the logs onto a low boy. And heavy equipment to cut down the trees and remove the branches. Although I didn't see them use chainsaws they did use them because I had to clean up after the slobs. They left there plastic bar oil jugs laying around. Its been a year and we are still repairing roads, cleaning trash and burning brush.

One of the great things about cutting in the forest. Just push the slash off to the side of the road. The few trees I have had to drop on my property is a whole lot of work.

Yeah , I call BS ! A properly ported Saw will produce 30,40,50% MORE wood at the end of the day OR do the same amount that much quicker ! Time is $$$ my friend ! 2 men working with ported saws can do the work of 3 with stockers ... now if you are just cutting in the yard maybe not necessary, for steak on table different story !

From my observations of users on this site there is only a few types that most fit into.

1. New guy new saw - Does muffler mod and ports the saw and disappears.
2. Guy ports saw and cuts 1 inch wafers on YouTube recording 1/100 second differences.
3. 1 + 2 = 3 Brand new looking saw (shelf queen) shows up in trading area for sale. Great saw, low hours, need money to port even newer saw. Rinse, cycle, repeat.

Nobody knows if a ported saw cuts faster in the wilderness, because ported saws live on a shelf after a short demo in the driveway.

Two things come to mind. First everyone's operations are different, and second if you are a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Also I think the beauty of a some what free market is the saw shops adapt to the realities defined by their customers. For me, I don't like the front exits on mufflers, so I do the tube thing on the PTO side up and to the right. And on the larger wood it doesn't blow into the wood chips and dirt and back at me. That's just me and where I've found practical success & solution's in my operations. As far as my customers, reliability, fuel use, ease of operations are more important than a second per cut here and there. I have been able to get some of their attention with tweaked 70cc saws where they had 390's and 660's. The thing that's attractive is the lower weight with enough power. And I have been able to achieve the blend my customers are willing to spend money for building to that target. Weight, ease of use, fuel usage, and enough reliability to get crushed before they fail in other ways is a successful formula here. Things like keeping snow out of the motor, quick starting, not stalling when the chain brake snaps on, idle for periods of time. Fuel usage, fuel usage fuel usage! It's an interesting study in psychology to watch everyone assume their solution for their world has to work in everyone else's. Most of the folks here have gone mechanical for all the soft wood operations. Only the smaller guys who focus on low impact logging still do everything by saw. And the three that I focus on have told me over and over they will process a set number of tree's on a day per sawyer regardless of saw speed (assuming its fast enough, and that "base line" is a 390 or 660). It's other factors that eat their time....but they like those tweaked 14 lbs power heads vs. the stock 15lbs ones..:) I do recognize everyone has a different world...that's just what I see here.

From my observations of users on this site there is only a few types that most fit into.

1. New guy new saw - Does muffler mod and ports the saw and disappears.
2. Guy ports saw and cuts 1 inch wafers on YouTube recording 1/100 second differences.
3. 1 + 2 = 3 Brand new looking saw (shelf queen) shows up in trading area for sale. Great saw, low hours, need money to port even newer saw. Rinse, cycle, repeat.

Nobody knows if a ported saw cuts faster in the wilderness, because ported saws live on a shelf after a short demo in the driveway.
Yah ... horse-**** ! I want the lightest most powerful saw possible ... here’s ported saws in action as you simply won’t believe unless u see it ! no shelf queens here !

Latest posts

Back