Building Near Live Oaks in Florida, USA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevdawg122

Reaction score
I am building a home in Melbourne, FL, USA (humid subtropical climate or Köppen climate classification Cfa) and I want to save some large live oak trees nearby. Generally speaking I'd like to know what things I can do to mitigate damage to the trees regarding their roots. I'll need to build over some roots I'm sure so I'd like to learn what I can do to minimize impact. Here are some of my thoughts/questions:
  • What type of foundation(s) is preferred? Pilings, crawl space pillars with footings? I've read that Florida has a high water table and the oak roots are shallow. The roots drink water as well as breathe. Avoiding a slab-on-grade foundation would help them breathe.
  • This may be crazy, but would it make sense to install an irrigation system for the roots under the home?
  • Are there things I could do to increase tree health or supplement for the loss caused by the building? Fertilizers, aerating, additional water elsewhere for roots not covered by the home?
In addition to the bullets above, please let me know if you have any other ideas. Thank you.

Building a home close to red oaks here is just asking for house damage. From falling limbs, oak pollen and acorns. If that tree has hidden rot, more damage will follow to your home. Good luck, no matter what you decide. I have had limb act as spears and punch right through roof.

Latest posts

Back