• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Built 066 red light worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take it as a learning building experience, piston/cylinder use OEM or nice used OEM parts. AM plastic covers, many can overlook. Did you vacuum/pressure check that case?

Everyone said oem so why meteor now?

Oem cylinder and meteor piston. Meteor pistons are very good and very reasonable. Obviously this is a budget minded build and not a full restore on a shelf queen, in which case an oem would be desired. Personally a meteor piston wouldn't stop me from buying a saw (if I knew that the saw had been properly gone through). A meteor cylinder might.

I was going to put a Meteor cylinder and piston on my MS460 until I read the threads about salvaging cylinders on this forum. I was able to save the cylinder that has a couple of visible scratches that don't catch your fingernail. I put a Meteor piston in it, set the squish to .022, replaced the seals and rubber parts. I have about 20 tanks through it now. I checked compression and its at 165 psi. Runs like an animal.
Here's the piston that was in it.
20201007_203650.jpg
There's lots of good info and experienced saw builders on here. Don't be insulted by realistic answers.

I was going to put a Meteor cylinder and piston on my MS460 until I read the threads about salvaging cylinders on this forum. I was able to save the cylinder that has a couple of visible scratches that don't catch your fingernail. I put a Meteor piston in it, set the squish to .022, replaced the seals and rubber parts. I have about 20 tanks through it now. I checked compression and its at 165 psi. Runs like an animal.
Here's the piston that was in it.
View attachment 863664
There's lots of good info and experienced saw builders on here. Don't be insulted by realistic answers.
:numberone:

Although a little Freeport doesn't always mean it's a bad thing ;), some saws like a little. But just a little.

Power is what counts, I am not looking for a Prius, remember how they were designed was to meet EPA standards, not to be the best saws they can be. That's why we port them, to make them what the factory wishes they could make them

Power is what counts, I am not looking for a Prius, remember how they were designed was to meet EPA standards, not to be the best saws they can be. That's why we port them, to make them what the factory wishes they could make them

I put longevity up there pretty high in my “what counts” meter. Losing charge out the muffler in the amounts these can at a decent squish it more than what I’d determine acceptable on a 066.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would this 066 red light sell for. New Hyway pop up big bore piston and head. New torch spark plug new handle not shown in pic. New ignition coil and plug wire new fuel line, new impulse line, and ported exhaust, might be installing ceramic bearings heard they’re good but not sure if it’s worth it.
The Hyway big bore is known for major issues. The piston doesn't doesn't seal the exhaust port at TDC. They had a major manufacturing issue.
I have a cheap ECCPP big bore on a rebuilt 660 that I paid $40 for. That jug and slug has over 1200 hours on it and still looks new. I was shocked with by the quality.

So as I’ve said before I’m not an expert so what is a freeporting issue
It's when the bottom of the piston is higher than the bottom of the exhaust port.
If you want to spend a little more than get a HYWAY Titanikel 660/066 cylinder and piston. They are the nicest aftermarket I have seen. They are better quality than metereor and come with a 3 year warranty.

It's when the bottom of the piston is higher than the bottom of the exhaust port.
If you want to spend a little more than get a HYWAY Titanikel 660/066 cylinder and piston. They are the nicest aftermarket I have seen. They are better quality than metereor and come with a 3 year warranty.
[/QUOTE
I order the kit from Hyway last Wednesday. But there’s Hyway and Hywayusa. But it is still “processing”

None of it is Oem parts. The point was to get more power out of the saw. Can’t do that with stock internals. Rings and piston and head were all scored pretty badly which is why the decision was made to pour some More compression into it

A brand new Stihl 660 top end milled and ported will make more power than aftermarket and last longer.

Back