Bullets and nails!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
.... What a pia.
It's only 3rd time overall this spring that a chain has found a Nail or Bullet.
It really makes a mess of a chain.... there is no hand filing these back to health. I'll send them out.
I'm starting to think I should just take the bottom 6'-8' off of any given tree to avoid previous human activity height. That's prime material though!

The property is LARGE second growth Doug Fir and Cedar so rough bark and difficult detection.
None of the metal has been near the surface where it's possible to see it.
Just getting my whinge out really. Can't imagine anyone has a tip on how to avoid this stuff??

28724832058_0156959e5a_c.jpg

42548782242_91da335b1e_c.jpg

IMG_20170603_101923.jpg this formed wire chain is the worst I've found so far. Teeth made it past slowly but the bar got bound up by pinch. Of course it was 80% along the slice. A bit more troubling is a clothesline or dog run plastic covered multiple wire that cut well@ 90° but became a real snot where it followed the grain in the next cut. I forget the metal detector I have every time so far.
A pic was posted of horse shoes used as a gate hinge that was grown over & found while milling don't recall the thread
Mill safe and enjoy

Worst I've had was rocks. A D10 pushed the logs in a pile and somehow rocks got push WAY into a few logs.
The log pile that got hosed down with well drilling shmoo wasn't much better. Bonfired the worst of it.

Did a property where someone built tree stands ALL over. Rungs nailed into the tree every 16-20" with 7-10 concrete nails each!
The rungs had rotted off, some trees had even swallowed the nails.
Can cut through a few regular nails without trouble, but those were chain killers!

On the sawmill, it's usually barbed wire that'll kill a band.

Latest posts

Back