Bundled wood $2. dollars a bundle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yotehowler

Thanks for the info on selling your bundles,do you deal with oak only ? Do you sell for the same price for larger quanties like 100 to 200 bundles ?
How many bundles have you sold ? Thanks David

Yotehowler

Thanks for the info on selling your bundles,do you deal with oak only ? Do you sell for the same price for larger quanties like 100 to 200 bundles ?
How many bundles have you sold ? Thanks David

We're selling strictly oak at this time.

The largest order we've had so far has been 100 bundles we charged $3/bundle. We have a minimum order of 50 bundles unless it is a local delivery.

We started selling bundles in May of this year (wrong time of year but that's when we got set up to do it). We've sold about 500 bundles since then. Sales are pretty much dead right now, no burning allowed in this part of the County probably until October. I'd like to try to tap into the beach markets, but it's a long way for us to haul the wood, and with diesel at $5 a gallon it would be tough.

How's your bundler working out? I'd sure like to take a look at it sometime if you wouldn't mind.

We're selling strictly oak at this time.

The largest order we've had so far has been 100 bundles we charged $3/bundle. We have a minimum order of 50 bundles unless it is a local delivery.

We started selling bundles in May of this year (wrong time of year but that's when we got set up to do it). We've sold about 500 bundles since then. Sales are pretty much dead right now, no burning allowed in this part of the County probably until October. I'd like to try to tap into the beach markets, but it's a long way for us to haul the wood, and with diesel at $5 a gallon it would be tough.

How's your bundler working out? I'd sure like to take a look at it sometime if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks I just made 100 bundles today took me all day. I loaded them into my trailer. I used one roll of stretch wrap it made 123 bundles stretch wrap cost me 15 dollars a roll plus tax plus shipping. David

I made 100 bundles in an 6 1/2 hr. I also loaded the bundles into a trailer. That is 15.4 bundles an hour. I put the wood it the bundler removed the pieces longer that 16" and cut down with a chop saw. Wrapped the bundle two times ,than put in my flyer, than wrapped it two more times for a total of 4 wraps. Than I stapled a handle on it and put it into my tractor bucket. My 72" wide bucket holds abut 24 bundles, when the bucket was full I drove down to my trailer and unloaded by hand and stacked the bundles in the trailer. Made about 150 handles replaced one role of stretch wrap. and put a half of a sheet of paper in the bundle with my name phone number and the type of wood I sell. I took one of the members suggestion about free advertising and typed something up on the computer than copied it and pasted it on the bottom of the page. I made 50 copies and cut them in half. If the market guy calls me back this week I will tell him I have 200 bundles ready to deliver at $3.00 dollars apiece or $600.- dollars. David

Do you have any pictures of the bundler or a link to a site for it ?

Sounds like you are moving right along with your operation. Congrat's !

I guess for the outlay I was expecting something a bit more complex.

One thing I might offer for advice, is to round the corners on the holding bin. This will make each bundle more uniform in shape. It is good that it is rigid. My first thought was to have used chains instead but might be a PITA to get the bundle out when it fattened up after wrapping. Possibly put 2 - 45 degree bends in the corners instead of the 90's. The difference in wood is neglible but should produce better results in your bundles.

And, add some type of resistance to the spool of wrap to make it stretch a bit as it wraps the package. This will help hold the bundle tight once the wood pieces settle into place during handling. Running the wrap over another small roller ( or 2 ) might be enough. It shouldn't be much of a chore to add this to the same arme that holds the roll now. The more times the wrap changes direction the more resistance it will have.

I guess you put one stick in, lay the wrap over it and fill to size? The first stick will hold the wrap so you dont have to fight to get it started. If not , that might up your production in the same amount of time. Which means more time with the family.

Time is money. The less of it you spend to keep up production the more time you have to find outlets for your product.

I guess for the outlay I was expecting something a bit more complex.

One thing I might offer for advice, is to round the corners on the holding bin. This will make each bundle more uniform in shape. It is good that it is rigid. My first thought was to have used chains instead but might be a PITA to get the bundle out when it fattened up after wrapping. Possibly put 2 - 45 degree bends in the corners instead of the 90's. The difference in wood is neglible but should produce better results in your bundles.

And, add some type of resistance to the spool of wrap to make it stretch a bit as it wraps the package. This will help hold the bundle tight once the wood pieces settle into place during handling. Running the wrap over another small roller ( or 2 ) might be enough. It shouldn't be much of a chore to add this to the same arme that holds the roll now. The more times the wrap changes direction the more resistance it will have.

I thought the bundler was kind of simple when I got it. It cost me $ 750.- dollars plus $200 for shipping. The more I use it the more I like it. It ls very easy to hand crank easy to cut the stretch film,and there is a tension ajustment with it. It is not too hard to load either. It has a mesh 1/2 circle of expanded metal around it I thought that was kind of stupid, but it is useful for attaching things to like a cutter of an air hose for a stapler. You could also pack stuff around the bundler and it would still function with the cage, Mine did not come with wheels I bolted a couple of 2 "by 6" to the base and ran a 2x4 behind it to bolt it to it is nice and steady.I wanted an electric one I see the electric unit would not speed up the process at all it is picking out the wood and loading it into the bundler that takes the time. The stretch wrap pulls the bundles together sometimes they come out round sometimes square depends on how I load it with wood. I did about another 105 bundles today. I have 175 sitting in a 16' double Axel trailer and another 45 sitting in a smaller trailer. I think it took them a while to engineer the bundler so it works well, I think it does. David

That is not necessary I pull out a little stretch film hold it with my hand and crank the bunder until it goes around full circle and catches the film.

I guess you put one stick in, lay the wrap over it and fill to size? The first stick will hold the wrap so you dont have to fight to get it started. If not , that might up your production in the same amount of time. Which means more time with the family.

Time is money. The less of it you spend to keep up production the more time you have to find outlets for your product.

:greenchainsaw:

Arlen, Sounds like you are turning them out fast enough and have a routine down that works for you.

You'll know you are doing something right when you are getting calls for more bundles.

:cheers:

I have called a few large beach camp grounds and drove around oceanside to the markets and liquor stores. I have been told they pay $2.- dollars a bundle or less. I went to the beach and parked by the camp rings on thursday evening I sold 4 bundles for $5.00 dollars. I will get there earlier tonight and try agiain I like the price, I hope I sell more. :(

Perhaps you are asking the wrong ppl what the bundles are going for wholesale?

If I was buying something I would want to get it as cheaply as possible too. If someone was offering to sell me something, I didn't need right then, it better be cheap for me to sit on it till there was a demand for it.

Perhaps you should be calling their supplier to see just what they are getting for a load of bundles. I bet it is more than $2. Get your product known to more people. It might not be something that customers will go out of their way to buy but if they get used to seeing you at the beach they will pick it up there instead of getting it when they buy ice.

If the wholesale price really is just 2 bucks then work in a direction farther from them or show how yours is a superior product.

Be sure to leave a card with YOUR price so when the $2 bundles are gone they will be calling you back.

Don't give it away or they will expect it to be free everytime.

Perhaps you are asking the wrong ppl what the bundles are going for wholesale?

If I was buying something I would want to get it as cheaply as possible too. If someone was offering to sell me something, I didn't need right then, it better be cheap for me to sit on it till there was a demand for it.

Perhaps you should be calling their supplier to see just what they are getting for a load of bundles. I bet it is more than $2. Get your product known to more people. It might not be something that customers will go out of their way to buy but if they get used to seeing you at the beach they will pick it up there instead of getting it when they buy ice.

If the wholesale price really is just 2 bucks then work in a direction farther from them or show how yours is a superior product.

Be sure to leave a card with YOUR price so when the $2 bundles are gone they will be calling you back.

Don't give it away or they will expect it to be free everytime.

Thanks I apreciate your advice and comments David

Back