Bur oak issues, photos included

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yves Berthiaume

Reaction score
So i bought this Bur oak for $700.00 CAD 3 years ago. It came in a 30 Gal container was about 13 feet tall and appeared healthy. the first year a sod farm down the road sprayed something on a windy day that made it defoliate completely (though leaves grew back shortly after...) the second year was rather uneventful besides forest tent caterpillar invasion..., i did spray the tree with Safer's BTK so the tree wasn't bothered much. This year the trunk has splits, it darkened near the bottom and some of the bark has been affected. During the 3 years it hasnt grown much at all maybe like 4". i watered it regularly during the first year, only during droughts on the second year and weekly this year. it did not bud until late, late spring / start of summer this year. I occasionally spread thoroughly composted materials from our backyard bins and half a dozen sheep or cow manure bags around the drip line every spring. I'm no expert so is the tree normal given circumstances? is it Rooting in because of the size? I'm concerned because:

1. I have 2 other Oaks that i bought over 10 years ago that i've watched grow amazingly in comparison (they were 5' tall though when i bought them)

2. If its not going to make it i'd rather invest the few years it might live on life support starting over with a different tree

Please share some advise, i'd much appreciate it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 14
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 15
You bought that bur oak for $700 CAN? LOL
Why is the lower stem bent? I can see some callus tissue, has the trunk fibers been ruptured?
Number one reason why new transplants struggle is improper planting depth.
Expose the root flair and post a pic.

Good morning,

Here's more pictures including a 2-3" dig to the root flair. I remember planting this tree, i didn't add soil over top of what it came in. Unfortunately it may have already been wrong? The trunk fibers if i'm interpreting that correctly look ruptured, see pics... I picked away at the loose dead wood at the "bend" to expose in behind. I'm no pro so lets hear it.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 10
Do you know why the tree has a bend in the lower trunk?
Substantial wounding on the stem, looks like it's been run over and has had more than a few seasons of frost cracking injury.
From the pic I can't see the root flair, thinking you need to keep digging.
Bottom line is expose that root collar, protect stem from future frost cracks. Proper water & soil management, hope for the best, good luck

Back