ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

Burned out

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have always been a guy that liked fixing things and building things. I have worked the same property for 50 years and I built my own house. I have always been the one that fixes everything myself as long as I had the tools and knowledge to do it. I have a lot of things that are or are getting old and in need of repair. But I'm finding it hard to find the will to keep fixing all that needs fixing. It seems like it's a never ending cycle of keeping everything going. Man I need a vacation.

clint53

clint53

ArboristSite Guru
I have always been a guy that liked fixing things and building things. I have worked the same property for 50 years and I built my own house. I have always been the one that fixes everything myself as long as I had the tools and knowledge to do it. I have a lot of things that are or are getting old and in need of repair. But I'm finding it hard to find the will to keep fixing all that needs fixing. It seems like it's a never ending cycle of keeping everything going. Man I need a vacation.
I'm 67 and have always fixed and done for myself also. I know few like us.
I have been where you are at now.
My advice is get away from it before you are burned out completely. Then you can ease back into it when you want to.
Clint

ondarvr

ondarvr

ArboristSite Member
I limit my projects now to things that bring value and don't get me over committed.

I have no interest in working on vehicles or doing any modifications to them. I purposely avoid buying things that require attention or maintenance.

At this point it's all about making things as simple as possible.

tla100

tla100

Addicted to ArboristSite
Fix what you are good at and hire the rest out. Carpentry, house painting, pouring concrete, wiring, fixing vehicles, all got hired out last time. I can do a lot, but my time is better spent on things I can make money at.

Still have some landscaping, some steel pipes to reinforce block basement walls left on my to do list for a few years. Acreages do require lots of maintenance. Mowing always needing repair comes to mind also.

Then getting roped in to helping family pour concrete, sheet rock, wire, lay carpet....yeah that all happened in past few months too. But yeah, everyone likes to try save a buck....Not saying I don't like helping, I do.

bullseye13

bullseye13

ArboristSite Guru
Sometimes you need to drop it all and hit the reset button. Been there done that. You can only work so many hours and before long it goes from things you looked forward to - to things you HAVE to do. Thing that demotivates me is looking around and everyone is paying someone else to do everything.... and I can - and will do almost everything. Don't know where they get the $ but that's none of my business. Most don't have any....
Thing that helps me is taking a break and separating myself. Had gotten burns out tolic from two jobs and that don't help. make short lists to ease back into it and make sure not to work too hard and enjoy the sense of accomplishment. Try to make it fun.
Something that helped me was to sell everything I don't use or plan to use again. I learned that buildings full of stuff dosent actually make me happy...it's all just more work. I upgraded a bunch of tools to make life easier and projects go faster. Pretty content right now.
Good luck....hope you can get it figured out!

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
Fix what you are good at and hire the rest out. Carpentry, house painting, pouring concrete, wiring, fixing vehicles, all got hired out last time. I can do a lot, but my time is better spent on things I can make money at.

Still have some landscaping, some steel pipes to reinforce block basement walls left on my to do list for a few years. Acreages do require lots of maintenance. Mowing always needing repair comes to mind also.

Then getting roped in to helping family pour concrete, sheet rock, wire, lay carpet....yeah that all happened in past few months too. But yeah, everyone likes to try save a buck....Not saying I don't like helping, I do.
I always enjoyed fixing and reparing things and It was a good way to save money by doing things myself. No mater the project it seems it's all just work and more work. I try and start new projects but I loose interest very quickly. I could not afford to pay someone to do all that needs doing so out of the need to save money I almost have to do it myself. Last year I did pay to get a bunch of things done to my old truck to keep it going. I have been looking for new things but can't find anything that interest me. I'm just running out of energy and drive to do the things I've always done myself. I'm just not having any fun or getting any satisfaction from anything anymore. Call it burn out or depression, I got that and am searching for something new that will make me happy.

50blues

50blues

ArboristSite Operative
I have always fixed everything myself. Had to when younger. I always bought projects to save money.. Recently figured out, took me 50 years, that the projects rarely save money and take to much time. If you have something that needs done by the best equipment you can to do it. Then sell the equipment when done. If you do it right the equipment use is almost free and your back will still work.

TheBrushSlasher

TheBrushSlasher

I have chainsaws and chainsaw accessories.
I'm wee bit younger but I started going through the same thing doing work around the cabin over the last year or two, I've been doing it since I was 8 years old helping grandpa until he couldn't do it anymore. The last 17 years I've done it by myself and had fun until recently and just went through the motions. Sometimes we need a reminder of why do those things and sometimes that reminder threatens to destroy the things you care about deeply.

This was my reminder.
IMG_20200905_135714423.jpg
I went to work on September 6 and was opening up the marina gate and realized I could see the glow of the fire from where I was standing looking over the hill through the smoke. On the evening of the 7th it made a 20,000 acre run that burned down alder springs and pine ridge.
This thing kicked a lot of ass and
Burned all the way to the near ridge and within 200 yards of our cabin and destroyed 100 homes just east of us and about 20 on acorn road north of us. I spent a week on pins and needles hoping crews could keep it in check at that point which they did. When I got back up there the first thing I did was walk back to the big live oak and watched the fire burn on the other side of the river canyon with a big pink line about 100 yards from me then burnt trees on the neighbors place. I cried a little bit after a flood of memories hit me. I spent a few hours a day during the 8 I was there cutting and dragging brush adding to the fire departments piles on our property. Going back up Friday to do more and hopefully get some pile burning done.

This place is the only thing left in our family from my grandpa and great grandpa. I got to the point I just didn't care about it anymore but then seeing that all of the work I did over the years was going to be a big part of the next fire line and also saved the crews time because they didn't have to prep the Property.

whatscooking

whatscooking

ArboristSite Operative
I also have been the guy that takes things everyone else has discarded and make it run again. At first it was the only way i could afford something better. I have worked and saved while other people foolishly spend and (**** off). I would help some friends with repairs to their automobiles, tractors,motorcycles,chainsaws,homes,you name it i would help. Well i have found out the only thing helping someone gets you is more stuff to do. Everyone thinks i must have a magic wond that i can fix anything immediately with and they get mad when i dont. Really sucks when your helping someone bail hay and your motorcycle is gased up.
I have come to a screeching hault with feeling like I need to nelp everyone, funny i get no help.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm wee bit younger but I started going through the same thing doing work around the cabin over the last year or two, I've been doing it since I was 8 years old helping grandpa until he couldn't do it anymore. The last 17 years I've done it by myself and had fun until recently and just went through the motions. Sometimes we need a reminder of why do those things and sometimes that reminder threatens to destroy the things you care about deeply.

This was my reminder.
View attachment 871039
I went to work on September 6 and was opening up the marina gate and realized I could see the glow of the fire from where I was standing looking over the hill through the smoke. On the evening of the 7th it made a 20,000 acre run that burned down alder springs and pine ridge.
This thing kicked a lot of ass and
Burned all the way to the near ridge and within 200 yards of our cabin and destroyed 100 homes just east of us and about 20 on acorn road north of us. I spent a week on pins and needles hoping crews could keep it in check at that point which they did. When I got back up there the first thing I did was walk back to the big live oak and watched the fire burn on the other side of the river canyon with a big pink line about 100 yards from me then burnt trees on the neighbors place. I cried a little bit after a flood of memories hit me. I spent a few hours a day during the 8 I was there cutting and dragging brush adding to the fire departments piles on our property. Going back up Friday to do more and hopefully get some pile burning done.

This place is the only thing left in our family from my grandpa and great grandpa. I got to the point I just didn't care about it anymore but then seeing that all of the work I did over the years was going to be a big part of the next fire line and also saved the crews time because they didn't have to prep the Property.
I have been through several floods that pretty much made me have to start from scratch. It really sucks to work for decades to build something only to have it taken away and have to start from scratch.
A few years ago just north of me they had some bad fires that destroyed a lot of farms and hundreds of homes. I can drive by there after 10 years and the standing dead trees are everywhere where the fires were. The grass lands came back quickly but the timber will take decades to recover.

ondarvr

ondarvr

ArboristSite Member
Interesting you mentioned a flood.

My wife was in intensive care fighting sepsis for a few months, during that time we had a flood that destroyed our property.

The week I brought my wife home from the hospital I get a call from HR, due to the recent sale of the company 70% of the employees were being let go, and I was one of them.
My wife still needed 24 hour care when she came home and I had to provide it myself, this went on for another 6 months.

I had to find a place to move to, find another job, and take care of her. Still owing hundreds of thousands in hospital bills.

5 years later and most things are good, or at least better, I didn't think it would ever come to an end.

My project list and priorities changed dramatically, many things were crossed off and fewer were added back.

Volund

Volund

experienced loner
Life ! is like that.
You up for it sir or whot !

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Same here.
It's getting easier to look away and say to myself, "Ehh, not today."
The leaves will eventually blow off the roof and into my neighbors yard....
The weeds will grow only so high, then die back in the winter...

Some things ya gotta do, but the rest - pfft, I let it go.

Oldmaple

Oldmaple

Addicted to ArboristSite
I'm a fix it myself guy but it has morphed into a fix it if I'm interested in it. Otherwise it's fixed with a phone call. Most car repairs now go to the mechanic. Now, if it comes to helping a friend or family (most of them I still consider a friend) I'm all in. That is what I consider fun. Hanging out with someone whose company I enjoy, priceless. If work is involved I'm okay with it, I'm not averse to work.

edisto

edisto

Spelling/Reality Check
I also have been the guy that takes things everyone else has discarded and make it run again. At first it was the only way i could afford something better. I have worked and saved while other people foolishly spend and (**** off). I would help some friends with repairs to their automobiles, tractors,motorcycles,chainsaws,homes,you name it i would help. Well i have found out the only thing helping someone gets you is more stuff to do. Everyone thinks i must have a magic wond that i can fix anything immediately with and they get mad when i dont. Really sucks when your helping someone bail hay and your motorcycle is gased up.
I have come to a screeching hault with feeling like I need to nelp everyone, funny i get no help.

I'm the same way...my mowers, trimmers, chipper and generator are all someone else's discards, I have fixed all of our major appliances at least once (the furnace twice), and do spend quite a bit of time fixing things for people at work.

Lately things have piled up. My truck needs a new engine, but just as it got cool enough to start working on it, my parts car had issues, and in the middle of fixing that, the transmission on my wife's car went. I'm lucky that I have a good chunk of time for the next few weeks to work on them (once I find a "cheap" replacement transmission), and I enjoy turning wrenches, but having to swap the transmission in a Vibe just to get the time to pull my truck engine is a little more work than I wanted for the holidays, and is shifting other things that need doing to the back burner.

eric_271

eric_271

ArboristSite King
Same here but I look at it a little different. Used to you could do all these projects and save money. Still can but not to the same extent due to cost. Need a piece of steel to complete a project? Scrap yards charge a new price for scrap. Ugh!!!
I’ve got projects 75% done that have been like that for several years. Lol
I destroyed my ankle 2 months ago from a fall off my house while roofing. I’ve got another 6 to 8 weeks before the doctor lets me walk on his handy work. That’s a lot of idle time. I’m now itching to get back in my shop and finish the pontoon boat. I’m hoping this being cooped up this long helps get me past my burn out. My age is catching up as well. I’ve always done my own mechanical work. The last thing I did on my truck was pulling the old injectors and installed the new ones.Took me 2 days then a week before I could walk without being bent forward because my back.

OM617YOTA

OM617YOTA

ArboristSite Guru
I can do about anything construction, fabrication, or vehicle related. The older I get, the less I actually want to and the more I pay others to do. Zero shame in that.

aokpops

aokpops

Addicted to ArboristSite
I think I know what burned is . You do every one else crap at a price that barley feeds you . Then you ask . Why did they do that ? Why did they have money to hire me ? Why I drive a car that's getting close to 30 years old ? Why do I pay medical insurance and still have a bill ? Why did school suck so bad for me ?

Redgap

Redgap

ArboristSite Member
I like to work on saws and my cabin...when I like to. But as long as I’ve got a couple good running saws at each place, I’m not gonna stay up til midnight in a freezing garage mechanicin’ on my half dozen project saws. If I HAD to cut up a tree tomorrow and my only saw (haha) was dnf, then I’d pay someone to fix it or buy a new one. I’m a couple years behind on my cabin remodel, but as long as it’s weathertight, I’m gonna work on something every time I go but I’m not gonna work on it 16 hours every day (or after happy hour starts). If I couldn’t do some hunting or fishing, or visiting with friends, then I’d dread going there. But if a pipe springs a leak I can’t fix, then I call a plumber.